Hi guys! My name is Abigale DeLavalle, and I am a rising senior majoring in Integrated Marketing Communication.

I began my internship with Buffalo City Hall two weeks ago, and I am already loving it. I am in charge of the Hertel Walls Instagram and Facebook pages, which means creating fun and engaging content on a frequent schedule. For example, this past weekend (June 10-11, 2023) was Hertel Alley Mural Fest, so my job was to not only promote the event, but to actively report on the progress of our artists as well. If you are unsure of what Hertel Alley Mural Fest is, then you should definitely follow Hertelwalls on Instagram (I can’t believe you don’t already). The Mural Fest is a new event put into motion by Councilmember, Joel Feroleto, alongside Art Services Inc. Every year the existing murals will be primed over, creating a blank canvas for new paintings, and for one weekend, numerous artists will transform Hertel Alley all over again. The public has the opportunity to interact with the artists in real time, asking questions and watching the creative process unfold.

My method of approach was to engage the public, especially the people who could not come to the event in person. I allowed people to ask questions for the artists on the Instagram story, and then posted the answers alongside a picture of the artist with their work. Additionally, I used CapCut to make short videos that highlighted the paintings in progress but also appealed to current trends. The latest Instagram reel that I had posted gained over 150 likes, which is an increase from the average number of likes for previous posts. I have also kept an eye on other metrics, such as followers. Since I started my internship, the Instagram account has gained over 100 new followers, and people have been sharing the posts that I created. This is important because it exposes our account to a wider audience.

I am extremely excited to continue working, and I cannot wait to see what comes next!