Hi everyone! My name is Hannah Nelson and I’m going to be interning with Channel 4 this semester as a News Intern. My first day was today, February 1, and it definitely went a little differently than I expected. After spending 5 minutes with my supervisor and meeting a total of 1 person, I was offered to tag along with a reporter that was about to go out and shoot a package. While I was excited, I was definitely a little nervous – I didn’t want it to be awkward since I’d never met this person before.

Luckily, Angelica was great. This particular package she was shooting (catch it on the 6:00 news this Thursday) was about a black-owned nail salon over by Bean Bastard. We interviewed the owner and her family for a little over an hour, shot a bunch of B roll, and when we went to leave…. the station car was dead. So, after getting a jump after about half an hour, we made our way back to Channel 4 where I watched her upload all her clips before breaking for lunch.

After lunch, I got all set up with my company email and other logins before meeting with my supervisor, Josh. He told me that basically throughout my internship I will mainly be tagging along with whichever reporter happens to be going to shoot a package that day since this gives us the best experience. He asked me if I wanted to do on-air in the future, and I told him I’m open to everything although I’d never really considered being on-air before and I don’t know how good I would be. After meeting with Josh and getting the rundown on what my day-to-day is going to look like, I’m super optimistic about this semester, although I’m not sure how much writing I’m going to be doing. He let me know this internship is essentially whatever I make of it and I should be asking photographers to also shoot some stuff of me in the field so I can build some packages of my own. I am a little apprehensive to do that since I feel like that is kind of awkward, but I think I’ll just have to get over it. Excited to go back tomorrow and see what else happens! Below is this awkward selfie I sent to my mom once I got to my computer.