Canisius College Adjunct Faculty, welcome to the Fall 2016 semester! Here are some tips and upcoming events:
Adjunct Orientation & Library Open House
Canisius College is hosting an Adjunct Orientation Session, on 24 August, from 5:00 to 7:00 PM, in the Library Instruction Room. Come learn about various resources available for Adjunct Faculty at Canisius, teaching for mission at a Jesuit College, and help with technology from the Center for Online Learning & Innovation (COLI).
Just before that, beginning at 3:30 PM on the 24th (also in the Library Instruction Room), the Bouwhuis Library is hosting an Open House for all Faculty. Learn how our librarians can assist you and your students in various ways.
Please RSVP with Kathy Peter at email@example.com so we have an estimate of the number of people attending.
Adjunct Faculty Suite
All Canisius College Adjunct Faculty can use the Adjunct Faculty Suite. Located in Old Main 411, the office has several cubicles that include plenty of desk space, PCs (and a Mac), close access to a printer, and generally space to work or meet with students. The office door has a coded lock; contact Mark Gallimore at 888-8353 for the combination.
See this how-to article for details on printing on campus. To print, you need to have your Canisius College ID card handy. You can obtain a Canisius College ID card at the Public Safety Office in Bosch Hall.
Technology for Teaching & Learning
- A basic guide to technology resources for faculty can be found here.
- MyCanisius (my.canisius.edu – worth bookmarking) is a one-stop-shop for all your web-based resources at Canisius. Sign in there, and with one click you can get to your email, Desire2Learn (D2L), and other digital tools.
- Desire2Learn (D2L) is our learning management system. With it you can paperlessly distribute documents, collect assignments, and operate a gradebook that keeps students informed as to their progress. Within D2L, you can access a series of quick tutorial videos by clicking the “Self-Paced Training” button.
- Campus calendars can be found on the web:
- Our academic calendar shows a variety of important events, including days when classes are not in session due to holidays or breaks.
- Human Resources has a list of Campus Holidays, when the College (and its administrative and support offices) are closed.
- For those teaching on campus, here’s some tips on how to conduct your class even when weather (or some other contingency) gets in the way of regular face-to-face class sessions.
If you have specific questions concerning technology for teaching and learning, contact Leah MacVie (firstname.lastname@example.org) or Mark Gallimore (email@example.com), or come see us in Old Main 404 (down the hall from the Adjunct Faculty Office.) We maintain a set of technology training resources at our COLI wiki space. We’re very happy to help our fellow adjunct faculty.