I attended Whine & Wine at Art Services Inc. with my internship supervisor. This event was held to discuss the state of WNY arts. As the Hispanic Heritage Cultural Institute is going to highlight Hispanic heritage through the art gallery and theater, we were invited to be a part of this discussion. There was a fair amount of people in attendance from different arts related organizations and non profits in Western New York.

I had the opportunity to talk and connect with many wonderful people. I was nervous at first, but my supervisor introduced me to the people that she knew and the conversations were able to flow from there. I spoke with the Director of Communications & Community Engagement at the Buffalo AKG Art Museum and she was very friendly. Talking with her was very exciting for me because I have always loved the AKG and I would love to be able work for that kind of company. I obtained her business card and plan to connect with her in the future regarding career opportunities. I also spoke with a board member of the African American Veterans Monument who was very kind. My feelings of uneasiness quickly faded when I realized how welcoming everyone was and how willing they were to make new connections.

The event centered on a discussion with the President of The Arts Center of the Capital Region, who spoke about how we can better support organizations in the arts and support each other. One thing I learned was how many people working in non profits need multiple jobs to sustain themselves. As someone who wants to work in this field, it opened my eyes to how hard I will have to work to be able to help my community, but also provide for myself. Overall, I had a lot of fun and learned a lot from attending this event, it has made me more comfortable for future networking events.