For this assignment, I attended the Griff Fair in Science Hall on March 31. There were a lot of students, mainly finance and communication majors at the time that I went, that met with representatives from tons of different companies in order to find out more information about the internship and job opportunities they offer college students/graduates. I attended the virtual Griff Fair that was held last year, and this was definitely a lot more beneficial! I invited a lot of my teammates to go since I ended up with an internship after attending last year, and found the face-to-face interactions were a lot more interesting and I learned way more since I could receive flyers, business cards with contact info, and make more of an impression on the person I was meeting with. It was kind of stressful to feel like I met with all of the companies I was interested in, but really fun since I went with a group of friends.

I already have an internship and job lined up for after graduation so I didn’t benefit in terms of securing a position with any companies that attended, but I think I made a lot more personal connections that I’m sure to follow up on after graduation. I used this as more of a networking opportunity than an internship seeking event (like I did last year) so I sent invitations to connect with some of the people I met with on LinkedIn after the event. Overall, I feel a lot more comfortable holding “professional” conversations about what I’m looking for in a job, what strengths I have, and how I can potentially fit in with different types of companies (broadcast, retail, sports, etc) in different capacities! I used to only consider “journalist-y” positions, but I learned that there are a TON of different positions that are not with media companies that use all the same skills I’ve learned at school. There are a lot more options than I originally thought! It was also super fun to encourage my friends to go, and some of them walked away with invitations to interview and apply for internships.