Everyone knows how important networking is in our world today. It is one of the best ways to get your foot in the door at an organization you’re very interested in. As students at Canisius in the Communication Studies department, we were lucky enough to attend a networking event right on our own campus thanks to the faculty who facilitated it! It was such a great experience and I am so glad I made the time to attend. This event was full of wonderful people such as alumni and COM professors, and it was so great to make some connections with these individuals who have experienced life in the “real world” after college.
One conversation that I had was with Mary Russo, a Canisius alum currently working for Roswell Park. She is involved in event coordination at Roswell, something I am very interested in. It was great to chat with her and learn more about the field I am currently exploring. I really appreciate that individuals like Mary took time out of their busy schedules to come and chat with us.
I am not going to lie, I normally feel a great deal of stress when attending these types of events, but I typically force myself to go because I know it is good for me. But, at this networking event, it felt a bit more comfortable than what I am used to because I was surrounded by people I knew and people who are in the same position as myself. I am extremely glad that I went because not only was it good practice for future networking events, but it also helped me gain a few connections with past Canisius students.