Hi there!

My name is Joe Kraus and I am a junior majoring in journalism with a concentration in sports journalism. My internship this semester is with the Tonawanda Sun, a newspaper overseen by the Buffalo News that is dedicated to covering local news in the Tonawandas and Kenmore regions. The newspaper is also dedicated to covering local high school sports.

This semester, I am the North Tonawanda High School Sports Beat Reporter. This entails covering the school’s fall sports (football, boys and girls soccer, boys and girls volleyball, girls swimming, tennis, golf and cross-country) and the early parts of the winter season from now until early December. As the beat reporter, my job is to attend NT sporting events and write game recaps as well as write feature stories on student-athletes (this portion will begin very soon).

Plus, I provide updates on my Twitter page (@theprofnt) during the game to keep those interested in the Lumberjacks informed. Then, after the week’s stories are published in Friday’s issue, I post the stories on my personal website, the first thing Monday morning.

My internship officially began on the first day of fall sports practices, August 13, where I covered NT Football’s first day back with head coach Eric Jantzi back at the helm. During the rest of the week and the following week, I made numerous trips back to “The Lumberyard,” gathering information for the season previews.

Notable games that I have covered so far are the Dan Durick Memorial Tournament boys soccer championship in Tonawanda, NY; the girls soccer T-NT Cup; girls volleyball’s home opener; and NT Football’s first two games of the season against Niagara-Wheatfield and Sweet Home.

It was a little nerve-wracking at first, especially heading into the first day on the job, but I quickly realized that all the experiences I had – whether in high school or the past two years at Canisius College, both on and off campus – have prepared me for this semester and this internship. The interaction between myself and the editors so far has been how it will likely be in a newsroom: pitching an idea, getting its approval and running with it.

Communication has been the key for why this internship has been successful in the early weeks.

Here are some of my favorite stories so far:

Defending NFL champion Falcons get the best of Lady Jacks in volleyball opener
Jacks, Lady Warriors win Durick Memorial soccer tournament
NT Football goes back in time with familiar face on sidelines