Today was the last day of my internship at Shea’s Performing Arts Center. This was truly a rewarding experience and I learned so much during my time here. In the beginning, I was unsure how good of a fit this site would be for me and was not sure what to expect. I was very timid and nervous and set on not wanting to mess up. However, I soon got adjusted to it and began to notice myself doing really well. I am also very proud to say that I accomplished all of my goals that I set for myself going into this experience and really had to give myself a pat on the back.

One of my goals was to get even better with telephone communication and being confident and comfortable. And I certainly accomplished this and feel like a pro when it comes to making phone calls. Something that once seemed so nerve wracking, now just a regular thing for me. I also hoped to better my networking skills, which I certainly did in a variety of ways. Whether in the office, running errands, or working the Gala, I truly felt myself being confident with networking and showcasing myself. I think that one thing I learned unexpectedly from this experience that I did not consider as a goal is to be confident in your assets and skills. We often feel that it is not okay to talk positively about ourselves due to possibly coming across as “bragging.” After getting so much gratification from others at my internship and all of the experiences I had during it, I learned it’s okay to be confident because people really respond well to it.

I gained so many rewarding feelings from my internship, especially when dealing with challenging situations that I had never experienced. I definitely feel that this experience was needed and makes me feel more reassured about myself as I continue on in life. I will never forget this experience at Shea’s, and not only the great opportunities but the relationships with great people I also got to establish along the way!

Jenyia W.