The networking event I chose to attend was the Griff Fair which was held right here at Canisius in Science Hall. This event was held in February when I had just really gotten into my job search. The event’s participants were mostly students here at Canisius, specifically undergrads. Something I did not expect to see was older adults when in fact there were a few looking at different businesses.
There were many different businesses at this event and they were set up with their own little booths, each had different “swag” to entice students to stop at their booths. I met some very interesting businesses primarily in a sales related fields, I also spoke with some banks. At the time, I was not really sure what I wanted to do next year; it really helped get my feet wet. Following this event, I had a lot of phone conversations with people outside the event so I am now much more comfortable speaking with strangers in a business settings.
This networking event was a great experience but I honestly feel like my best networking has been done in social situations through people I meet out and about or through family and friends. I do think this definitely helped me and would do it again.