When I had considered possible internships last semester the Buffalo Philharmonic Orchestra was actually not very high on my list. When I thought of the BPO I thought of long string concerts of the same songs that every orchestra does. When I had my interview though, my ideas changed entirely.

The BPO office is located in a nice building in Allentown. So far everyone that I’ve met in the office is friendly and welcoming, many of them even remembered my name and I feel comfortable when I come inside. I have my own desk where I can leave supplies which is a definite bonus and my supervisor is extremely nice so far. I told her during my interview that I wasn’t interested in working in just one department and in the past two weeks I’ve been able to get a feel for several departments. I have worked on programs for the education concerts, reviewed survey results and wrote summaries for the marketing team, researched grant opportunities for the development team, and I have already been asked to attend a few extra events where I would get to work during a pre- or post-concert event at Kleinhan’s Music Hall. I also decided to keep a book at my desk where I can mark out what I’ve worked on so far so that I can keep track of the opportunities I have had.

So far my first impression has been very pleasant and I am looking forward to the different projects that I will be able to work on and am especially excited to help with the planning and organization of several events with the BPO community. Not to mention the fact that now that I am here I realize that the BPO does a lot more than just classical performances and a lot of their scheduled concerts really appeal to my interests so I think this will be a very positive experience for me.