On November 9th, I attended Women of Canisius’s “Building PoWerful Partnerships” event. Not only did I have a lot of fun at the event, but I also learned a lot from a group of amazing Canisius alumnae.

The first part of the event consisted of a short information session about the importance of finding a mentor. Mentors not only can provide great professional advice, but they also can help with other transitional periods in our lives. With their experience and perspective, they can give insight and can help while making a stressful decision.

My favorite part of the night was the “speed networking” segment. During this part, students and recent graduates had the opportunity to go a random table and get a quick one-on-one session with the mentors. Even though we only had five minutes, it was just enough time to share a little about myself and listen to any advice they could give me at this point of my career. It was so comforting to see how much it seemed like they wanted me to succeed and help in any way they could. From meeting these alumnae, I saw not only the importance networking, but the importance of networking with people that went to the same school as me.

It was a great event, but I wish there would have been an alumna from the communications field that I could have speed networked with. If there is another event like this or one from the Women of Canisius, I’m definitely looking forward to attending in the future. Who knows? Maybe I could be the Communication Studies representative one day!