An internship is something that every undergrad should experience.  It not only helps transition students into the professional workforce but also with developing connections.  Internships are beneficial no matter the outcome and are an experience that can only be learned from.  They allow students to gain an understanding about what direction they would like their future to go in and sometimes even turn into full-time positions.

I started interning at Perry’s Ice Cream at the beginning of January.  I was extremely nervous and didn’t know what to expect.  After the first two weeks I was overwhelmed and exhausted.  I was interning 20 hours a week, while balancing four classes, my senior year and another job.  I began to think that I wouldn’t be able to handle it all.  I quickly realized I needed a way to organize my life and figure out a successful way to manage my time.  I got into a weekly routine that may not have been the the ideal “senior year” for most, but I knew it would eventually pay off (and it did).

After successfully managing my time, my stress soon diminished.  I began understanding my role at Perry’s and become more comfortable with my position.  I realized it was ok to make mistakes and that it was important to ask questions (as well as take notes for future reference).  I was able to grow and enhance my skills through constructive criticism and advice.

My internship was definitely “beyond coffee and copies.”  It helped me become more confident and gain independence and team skills.  I was organizing promotions, running social media posts and designing advertisements.  Although the position was overwhelming at first, it gave me responsibility and tasks which I could take pride in.  It helped me think about my future career and life goals.

At the end of my internship, I was offered (and accepted) a full-time position at Perry’s as their Marketing Communication Specialist.  Although every internship may not turn into a job, every internship will be beneficial in some way.