As I’m sure is the case with most of you, wow, is time flying by!

The semester has probably caught up with some of us, and I’m sure we haven’t been able to do as much as we would have liked. This is how I felt when it came to my networking activity.

I would have loved to attend AdClub of Buffalo’s Super Bowl Commercial Discussion, but I had to work all night. It would have been great to go to their Humor in Advertising night, but I was swamped with homework.

Instead, I chose to attend an employee outreach event at my current internship at the NFTA that I used as an opportunity to network.

The event was a wellness fair that included around 25 vendors from various healthcare entities across Western New York.  I, of course, have no interest in health care.  Luckily, there were other representatives there from a few of the companies’ marketing departments who were happy to talk with me.

One of the most interesting was a man named Rob who worked for the Buffalo Bisons.  We discussed his role at the Bisons, the upcoming season and the fact that he had nothing to do with healthcare.  It turned out to be a great opportunity to get to know him, and when another intern and I later needed to attend a Bisons’ game, he came through to help us out with the arrangements.

Bisons

Another opportunity the event presented was to catch up with Dave Cash, the NFTA’s media buyer who I had met previously.  This time I was able to give him one of my business cards and reaffirm my position with him.  It was also great to pick his brain about stories and anything else he may have!

Overall, the experience was a good one, and pleasantly useful, especially for a wellness fair.  While entering the workforce, we can’t forget that networking is always of utmost importance!