I attended the networking event that Public Relations Student Society of America (PRSSA) club coordinated and hosted at Canisius College on April 16th. There were about 8 professionals and 15 students present. The turnout was considerably less than we all expected it to be but still I believe that it was a success. I attended last year and found it difficult to stand out. I do not know if that was because it was my first networking event or if it was because so many other students were present. I have come to learn that I thrive best in more intimate settings. It lasted for about two and half hours. There were two speakers and then we had 10 minutes with each professional. The first speaker was a man named Christian Frese who owns his own business at the age of 21. He started his landscaping business at 17 and is currently expanding his business both internally and geographically. His advice to us was to do what makes us happy and if we really want to own our own business take a leap and give it a try. The second speaker was Bill Collins who works at Canisius College; he told us that competition will thin out and that we should not obsess over getting the perfect first job because that will come.
I chose to talk to professionals that I did not know. Some of the professionals there were returning from last year and at least three of them had came into speak at Professor Foster’s PR class that I took last semester. I spent the next hour and half thoroughly engaged in conversation. Everything flowed and I was able to get a lot of advice and support regarding my decision to attend graduate school. My anxiety was reduced and I felt lighter when discussing my future and my concerns. I truly believe that I made some connections that night and I even had two of professionals tell me to email and text them to keep them updated about what university I choose.