My first week at the Albright-Knox Art Gallery was most definitely a success! I was nervous upon the arrival of my first day, but those fears dissipated almost immediately. I was given a tour of the beautiful building and was introduced to my coworkers, all of whom were very friendly and welcoming. My first day was spent trying to familiarize myself with the gallery. I took an audio tour and took in all of the paintings, sculptures, and media pieces that the gallery displays. I learned that not only are the exterior and interior of the gallery stunning, but that there is a lot of history. Established in 1862, the museum has undergone multiple transformations and has become a leading contemporary art gallery in the country. I was quite impressed with everything that I had learned and I was excited to start my internship.
Once I was through with familiarizing myself with the organization, it was time to work and I was given an assignment right away. I sat down with an editorial assistant in the Publications Department and the Director of Videography to edit a video that we were going to publish on the gallery’s YouTube page. It turned out to be quite the challenge because the video was more than 40 minutes long and we had to cut it down to 10-12 minutes. However, it was a success and we were all quite pleased with the final project. It worked out well due to our collaborative efforts. We each offered a unique perspective and different skills which meshed well together as a group.
I was given a variety of small assignments the rest of the week and I am excited to see what other projects I can work on in the next 12 weeks. Everybody has been so friendly and welcoming and I am excited to walk through these history-filled doors into my internship every day.