I had no idea what to expect when I walked into my marketing internship at the Botanical Gardens for the first time. A student who had the same position last semester said that it was a great experience and that she learned a great deal. This gave me a positive outlook on the situation. However, hearing my supervisor explain the interns in the Fall had completely different roles than interns in the Spring worried me. What was so different about them? What if I did not get to experience everything that the interns from last semester loved? Would I be learning just as much?

The first day I was given the monotonous task of uploading upcoming events on to websites that allowed companies such as the Gardens to advertise for free. For five hours I sat at a desk re-typing the same information. My supervisor apologized that the work was so dull and promised that it was going to get better, and she did not let me down. The next day I helped set up for an event called Lumagination that was to happen the following day. I assisted with organizing the raffle, pricing merchandise to make a profit, and arranging the different rooms within the Gardens. I also got to meet the journalist and a photographer that were writing a story about the event and helped the photographer with his equipment. I was excited to see some of the pictures that I assisted with in the paper the next day.

Lumagination was an awesome light/music display that happens annually at Botanical Gardens. Seeing the light show in full effect was a great benefit to volunteering to work at the launch party. Although most of my time at the party was spent working the coat check, I got to spend a few minutes asking guests to take a quick survey about their night and was able to share their comments with my supervisors who appreciated the input.

I think from my few short days at my internship that there is always something to learn.