Last week, Wednesday November 12, my supervisor Gwen invited me to an event with her. I did not know what to expect walking in to this event, but I felt confident because Gwen was by my side. The event that we attended was called “Million Dollar Nonprofits” hosted by Business First. The event was held at the Pan-American Grill on Washington Street in Buffalo, and it was a very beautiful venue. The event was set up with food and drinks available for us when we arrived.  This allowed all the attendees to get some food and chit chat for a bit, then after everyone was seated Tracy Drury, a Buffalo Business First reporter, began to speak. Drury gave an overview of nonprofit and foundation financial trends in Western New York, and what she had to say was very interesting. One thing that really caught my attention was that the highest revenue of a nonprofit in 2014 was $131,000,000 by People Inc. – that’s a lot of money!

Everyone else who was at the event was also part of nonprofit organizations just like Gwen and I, so it was really cool to be able to talk with them and see how their operations works. I personally got to meet Tracy Drury, which was really cool, because she is a top-notch reporter in Buffalo, and we got to talk for a while about my future as a communication major. I benefited from this experience because it gave me the courage to be able to talk to people one-on-one and have an engaging conversation. It is often hard to have a conversation like that with my fellow students, so it was nice that I was able to actually talk to business men and women and see where they come from and how they became the successful people that they are today.