Networking is extremely important, especially in today’s world. It’s all about who you know, and that’s the truth. As college student’s, we are told this over and over again. But I don’t think it really sinks in until that last semester of college, which is where I’m at right now. Luckily, I have been networking throughout college, but still probably not as much as I should have been.

The Interior Design Association of WNY (IDA) has a monthly networking event, where all of the members come together to catch up and learn something new.  I have attended a few of the events so far and they have been very beneficial.

The first event I attended was at Ethan Allen in January. As an intern, walking into a room full of 60 people that you have never met before can be very intimidating…and it was. I was nervous and did not know where to go or what to do when I got there. However, right when I walked in I was greeted with smiles and handshakes and felt comfortable immediately. Everyone was so nice and wanted to catch up with one another and meet those that they haven’t met before.

There were Wegmans subs (yum!) and so many delicious snacks. The majority of the people crowded around the food table, which was a great place for easy conversation. You instantly know when you click with someone, and when you do, it’s nice to get into a more in depth conversation and share your aspirations.

The second half of the event was a presentation about social media and how it can be extremely beneficial to your business. I was one of the only students there, so I was pretty familiar and up-to-date on all of the information, but I still found it to be beneficial.  My internship supervisor was at the event as well, and she wanted to try some of the things that we were told about. The following week, I was able to sit down with her and help her accomplish those goals.

When it comes to networking, just be yourself. A majority of the reason that someone will hire you depends on if they like you and want to be around you on a daily basis. So don’t pretend to be something your not. If you make a real connection, continue it and follow up with that person after the event.