This has been the most gratifying week I’ve had thus far as an intern at the Elmwood Village Association. I did my usual research and documentation of the Elmwood Village real estate transactions, and also put together an Excel spreadsheet of the gift certificate inventory for Mass Appeal. I’m becoming more comfortable with my weekly responsibilities, and I’m pleased with my improving ability to use Excel. However, the work I am most proud of this week is the event idea I came up with.

Two weeks ago, I was asked by my supervisor, Carly, to brainstorm and research holiday event ideas and ways re-vamp the Black Friday Boutique Crawl. This week I was asked to collaborate with Gisselle, my fellow intern, for even more ideas. Carly asked that we come up with multicultural event ideas, since it was brought to her attention that Elmwood doesn’t do any. Since I had already come up with quite a few holiday event and Boutique Crawl suggestions, I decided to focus on the multicultural event. After some research, I came across the PERFECT one: Dia de los Muertos / Day of the Dead.

I pitched this idea to Carly. I explained to her the vision in my head and relied on her to tell me whether it was realistic or possible for the Elmwood Village. I could not be more thrilled with her response. She seemed just as excited about the idea as I was, and asked me to write up a formal proposal. On it, I detailed what the holiday is about, why it’s perfect for the Elmwood Village, how the Elmwood Village would celebrate, when and where it would take place, possible committee members, and other considerations to make the event beautiful, spiritual, interactive, and fun. Carly seemed very pleased with my proposal, telling me it was exactly what she was looking for.

I left my internship today feeling such a strong sense of accomplishment. If we get the right people involved, this event could be a huge success. If this event is a huge success, it could become a favorite and lasting tradition in the Elmwood Village community. It will certainly take drive and dedication to execute, but with my enthusiasm and EVA’s resources, I truly believe we can make it happen. I have the opportunity to play a vital role in the planning of a new and unique event for the Elmwood Village. And if I get to watch the Elmwood community enjoy Dia de los Muertos, knowing that it stemmed from MY idea and MY vision, I predict it will be one of the proudest moments of my college career.