Weeks 1 and 2 at Eric Mower and Associates under the supervision of Gretchen have been great. I feel like she’s already given me a hefty amount of responsibility and really seems to care that I’m walking away from this with an education.

I’ve met so many new people; I can barely keep up with the names! But everyone is so helpful with taking me under their wings, showing me around the office, and being available if I ever have any questions. As anxious as I was about being overdressed or totally green in terms of jargon and general office experience, the office is such a relaxed atmosphere that I’m already beginning to feel a bit more comfortable.

Without being too specific (due to confidentiality), I have already had the opportunity to write some copy! Event planning research, crafting an invitation, and “knocking out a bunch of one-liners” are just some of the activities that have been assigned to me thus far. Additionally, after my event planning research and theme generation, Gretchen and her design counterpart Phil met with me very casually to go over what I created, and they gave excellent feedback as to what worked and what could be changed a little.

I’ve also already attended two meetings- a status meeting for a large account and an actual client pitch at a secondary location! They were both eye-opening. I didn’t realize just how many people were involved on the large accounts. With so many moving parts, it’s amazing that everyone can communicate so well to get pieces done, sent for approval, and into the slots where ad space has been purchased. The client meeting was thought-provoking as well. As I watched the creative team pitch their mockups to the client, I thought to myself what I liked about their performance, and what I would have changed about the pieces, or at least the ways in which they were presented.

All in all, I think I’m going to really have a great experience at EMA and I’m so glad to have been placed with Gretchen, who is fun, experienced, and seems glad to have me. Here we go!