Select Page

Shelly Baronich works in the controller’s office and won Sabres tickets through this entry in the Shoot and Score contest:

“What does Canisius mean to me? In a nutshell…success! I took the job at Canisius to simply provide a college education for my two children. But what happened was Canisius became a second family to me. My children took advantage of all that Canisius has to offer by becoming involved in campus life, clubs and studying abroad. They truly appreciate what has been given to them. They are both education majors; my son Michael graduated in 2011 and my daughter Emily will graduate this May. They studied in Italy and Australia, respectively, giving me and my husband a reason to go visit them!

“However, the most exciting part of my ‘nutshell’ is that Canisius also gave me the opportunity to go back to college at the age of 45 and earn my bachelor’s degree in Communication Studies. It is a goal I never thought I would accomplish. However, with the encouragement, support and kindness of the Canisius community, including my professors, fellow students and co-workers, it gave me the courage I needed to succeed. I proudly graduated in 2012 and am grateful every day for the opportunity.”

Shelly won two tickets to a Sabres game. Your next Sabres game could be on us too. You can enter and win by submitting an example or story that best reflects the Canisius experience. It could be a short story about a student, professor, class, project or activity on or off campus. It could involve you or someone else. We want to hear about service projects, internships, clubs and people that go the extra mile and deserve recognition. Submissions can be made through www.canisius.edu/studentsurge.

Students, faculty and staff can also purchase tickets at the discounted price of $25 each. Tickets are available for most home games and available in the Office of Campus Programming and Leadership Development in the Student Center.

Submitted by: Marketing and Communication