Select Page

In honor of International Education Week (IEW), the Office of International Student Programs will spotlight students each day who have shared what international education means to them. IEW is an initiative driven by the U.S. Department of State and the U.S. Department of Education that encourages educational institutions to celebrate the benefits of international education and exchange worldwide. The Office of International Student Programs is sponsoring activities and events all week, in collaboration with various campus departments, student clubs and community organizations. You can view the full schedule events by clicking here.

Our first student spotlight is Gustavo Dos Santos ’17, an international student-athlete from Brazil.

gustavo-dos-santos-smaller
Why did you choose to come to Canisius College?

“I chose to come here because of the education that I heard about – the college is well-ranked. I heard a lot about the family environment of the college and when I came to visit the swimming team, I felt like I was already a part of it.”

As an international student, what role do you play in the Canisius community?
“I think I add some diversity to the college. The college also teaches me a lot about different aspects [of life], so there is a great exchange of various cultural backgrounds among the members of the Canisius community and myself.”

Why is international education important?
“It is important so as to open your horizons and definitely open your mind to the whole world. It is important for us to not only live in our own little world but to also live in the bigger world and see everyone as the same.”

Submitted by: Kathleen Brucato, director, Office of International Student Programs