Canisius College presents the 9th annual Polish Film Festival, which will run from Thursday, November 12 to Sunday, November 15. The events are sponsored by The Permanent Chair of Polish Culture at Canisius College and will be held in the college’s Montante Cultural Center and the ICEA Screening Room at the Tri-Main Building (Suite 530), 2495 Main St. in Buffalo. All films are in Polish with English subtitles.
- Thursday, November 12 ― “The Photographer” (“Fotograf,” 2014, 110 minutes), a thriller, directed by Waldemar Krzystek, at 7:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center.
- Friday, November 13 ― “Strong Man” (“Mocny Czlowiek,” 1929, 78 minutes), a silent film directed by Henryk Szaro, at 7:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. During the film, live music will be performed by composer Marcin Pukaluk. Prior to the film, the animation “Endemit’s Greed” (Łakomstwa Endemita 2014, 11 minutes), directed by Natalia Dziedzic.
- Saturday, November 14 ― “These Daughters of Mine” (“Moje Córki Krowy,” 2015, 87 minutes), a comedy directed by Kinga Dębska, at 6:30 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. A question and answer session with Dębska and Zbigniew Domagalski, the film’s producer, will follow the screening.
- Saturday, November 14 ― “The Polish Dancer” (“Bestia,” 1917, 48 minutes), a silent film directed by Aleksander Hertz at 9:00 p.m. in the Montante Cultural Center. During the film, live music will be performed by composer Marcin Pukaluk.
- Sunday, November 15 – “The Touch of an Angel” (“Dotkniecie AnioŁa,” 2014, 64 minutes), a documentary directed by Tomasz Pawłowski, at 2:00 p.m. at the ICEA Screening Room at the Tri-Main Building. The screening is co-sponsored the Holocaust Resource Center of Buffalo and the Buffalo International Jewish Film Festival.
- Sunday, November 15 – “Gods” (“Bogowie,” 2014, 112 minutes), a drama directed by Łukasz Palkowski, at 3:30 p.m. in the ICEA Screening Room at the Tri-Main Building.
Tickets for all screenings are $10 for general admission; $5 for seniors and students. Tickets are available at the door. For more information call the Office of Modern Languages, Literatures and Cultures at (716) 888-2835 or email Margaret Stefanski, PhD, at email@example.com. View the film trailers at canisius.edu/polish-chair.
Submitted by: Margaret Stefanski, PhD, associate professor, department of modern languages