Justin Rogers, director of undergraduate admissions, talked about Canisius College’s upcoming open house and highlighted some of our academic programs during his appearance on WGRZ-TV’s WNY Living program on Saturday, November 7. Watch the entire segment here.
Submitted by: Marketing and Communication
Join the Department of Modern Languages on Tuesday, November 10 from 3:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. in the Language Resource Center for an Open House event with the Spanish program.
Students are encouraged to attend the workshop to learn how becoming a Spanish dual major with their current major can enhance their resumes.
For more information, contact Maureen Kanczak at Ext. 2746.
Submitted by: Maureen Kanczak, administrative associate, modern languages
The Griff Center for Academic Engagement invites the Canisius community to join the department on Wednesday, November 11 as it honors those who have served in our nation’s armed forces. The college will be hosting a variety of events throughout the day.
• Veterans Day Observation Presentation (Greatest Generation Memorial in front of Old Main/Bagen Hall) at 11:30 a.m. All are welcome to attend. (Rain location-Veterans Lounge Old Main 320)
• All veterans are encouraged to stop in the Griff Center (OM 013) between 9:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. to receive great giveaways!
• The Canisius community is encouraged to stop in the Griff Center (OM013) to sign a commemorative poster that will hang in the Veteran’s Lounge.In addition, Veterans Day is a special day where veterans are encouraged to wear their ribbons or medals. Show the campus that you served. Be proud!
For more information, please contact Sierra Bonerb at Ext. 2476.
Submitted by: Sierra Bonerb, senior counselor, Griff Center
Faculty can participate in a workshop to learn to use Desire2Learn’s grading tool and build a class grade book on Friday, November 13 at 2:00 p.m. or Friday, December 4 at 2:00 p.m. in Old Main 119
Faculty can quickly learn to use D2L to manage student grades and track student scores in a gradebook that handles all the calculations and allow students to see their grades throughout the semester.
Sign up for this and other workshops here.
Submitted by: Mark Gallimore, academic technology specialist
Faculty, administrators and students,
Each semester, Canisius College is given the opportunity to nominate a number of talented junior and senior students for inclusion in the publication “Who’s Who Among Students in American Universities and Colleges.” As chair of the selection committee, I would like to invite you to actively participate in the nomination of juniors and seniors for this honor. In order to obtain the broadest base of nominees, junior and senior Canisius students have been invited to submit their own names for nomination this year. The selection committee is still hopeful that most faculty members and administrators will take the time to nominate any students they feel are deserving of this honor. Reconsideration of students not selected last year but highly recommended is appropriate.
In choosing nominees, please bear in mind the three criteria, which will serve as a guide to the selection committee:
1. Academic achievement as demonstrated by the maintenance of at least a 3.0(B) grade point average.
2. Significant participation in at least one extra-curricular activity on campus and one off campus, or two on campus activities if nothing off campus.
3. Evidence of exemplary character and leadership qualities.
Please include as much detail as possible in the nomination. It is highly encouraged to include a copy of the student’s resume to the attached application. The deadline for nominations is February 1, 2016. Applications are to be brought to the Office of Student Life, in the lower level of Dugan Hall. Click here for the application.
Any questions or concerns feel free to contact me, Jenna Cochrane, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Submitted by: Jenna Cochrane, coordinator, student life