THE FACTS: The flu season in the US is off to its earliest start in nearly a decade. Higher than normal reports of the flu have come from several southern states. Such an uptake doesn’t usually occur till after Christmas.
THE GOOD NEWS:
1. More than 1/3 of Americans have already been vaccinated. Hopefully, you are included in this group.
2. The vaccine formulated for this year appears to be well matched to the strain of the virus. This is not always the case.
1. If you have not already done so, get your flu shot ASAP.
2. Wash your hands frequently, or use alcohol-based hand wipes.
3. Keep your hands away from your mouth, eyes and nose.
4. Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
5. Exercise, maintain a regular sleep pattern and eat properly.
6. Cover your nose and mouth when you sneeze.
Submitted by: David W. Teloh, safety director