Chanel & Joy at AERA 2018 in NYC!

It has been a long time since I have posted any updates. A few things worth noting here. Recently, I traveled with two of my student research assistants, Joy and Chanel (pictured at right), to the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting in New York City. I wanted to thank all of the Giving Day donors from last year whose contributions covered their registration costs so they could attend this huge conference (over 17,000 participants!). It was an amazing networking and learning experience for them. I also got to present two pieces of work:

1) I co-presented, along with David Rousell, on a co-edited section of the new Childhoodnature book (Springer Publishing), which features children and young people’s own writing and ideas around nature, environmental issues, and non-human animals. Our other co-editors, Helen Widdop-Quinton and Laura Piersol could not attend unfortunately, but the presentation was very well received!

2) I also presented a chapter I have in a forthcoming book, Animals in Environmental Education, on the pedagogical relationships that may and may not exist between humans, children, and other animals. That seminar was an amazing experience, and many great scholars working on animals and education were there, as you might see in the photo below:

Karen Malone, Connie Russell, Teresa Lloro-Bidart, Leesa Fawcett, Reingard Spannring, and more!

Overall, it has been a busy year here and I am still working on finishing up interview data analysis from our “Children on the Hunt” project, as well as starting an edited volume for Springer publishing tentatively called Queer Ecopedagogies. More to come in the months ahead!