Hello, everybody! Last semester, I wrote my honors thesis on some of Albert Einstein’s work, specifically special and general relativity. In my research, I came across a number of calculations relating to the application of relativity in astrophysics and cosmology that I did not include in my thesis because they didn’t fit the narrative. I thought it might be fun to go back and work through some of these calculations because they are very interesting and as math undergraduates, we hardly get any exposure to relativity or astrophysics (assuming we aren’t also majoring in physics). Most of these will be quite simple astrophysical calculations that help to build a bigger picture of our universe as described by relativity, so you won’t need to have taken any specific classes to stay with me. We’ll talk about black holes and neutron stars and time travel and some other cool, nerdy stuff! I’ll also indulge myself for a minute or two and talk about why relativity is so beautiful and important.

I hope to see you all there!