«

»

Nov 08

Gratification

“Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.” – Robert Collier

I guess most people would not know this about me by simply reading a blog post online, but I’ve been working on a huge weight loss goal for myself.  November 6th marked NINE months of “small efforts repeated day in and day out” and I am thrilled to say that I have lost FORTY pounds!  I find myself reflecting on my weight loss efforts and relating them to my work in my graduate program and assistantship at Medaille.  I must say it is quite surprising how this mindset can transfer across various fields!

As the Graduate Assistant in the Academic Support Center at Medaille, I tutor students in various subject areas but typically I assist students in editing their papers.  The other day I was helping a student edit a paper and I had no idea how the tutoring session was going to go.  I glanced at the topic of the paper and I thought, “Geeze, I don’t know much about the content of this, but I hope I can help with the mechanics.” I automatically related this initial meeting to my first day of grad classes at Canisius and my first day stepping into the gym as I had no idea what to expect.  I was hesitant with the content but I had to believe in my abilities based on my first year of teaching.

We spent over an hour tweaking just the introduction for this paper and I was reminded how rewarding it feels when students truly appreciate the help they receive.  The student showed such excitement in their face when we nailed down the introduction which reminded me of how proud I was when I lost 6 pounds during the first week of my weight loss program.  The same feeling of excitement rushed to me when I received my first A on a paper in the CSPA program. The way in which this student’s face was glowing after the session was truly empowering to me.  The student returned for another session later in the week and I am looking forward to working with them again. This is just another example of how “Success is the sum of small efforts day in and day out.”