We have had many inquiries from members of the campus community who, true to the Canisius spirit of “men and women for and with others,” are interested in volunteering during the COVID-19 crisis.
Information has been compiled by the New Buffalo Institute. These opportunities are not run or endorsed by Canisius College but simply provide a helpful resource for individuals considering in-person or virtual volunteering. (We respect your individual decision-making and assessment of personal risk in engaging with in-person volunteer opportunities to support organizations that remain open and serving local residents.)
NEW OPPORTUNITIES AS OF 4/13/20
- Volunteermatch.org/covid19 — Many local opportunities for volunteering, updated regularly. https://www.volunteermatch.org/
- Erie County Senior Services and their partners seek volunteers to assist with transportation, deliveries, and making phone calls to seniors and the disabled community. https://www2.erie.gov/exec/index.php?q=press%2Ferie-county-senior-services-partners-seek-volunteers-assist-transportation-deliveries-more-sen&fbclid=IwAR3mOpK7fu6pFB0LsemPixR_r9Ww2OYe0cYVM_zQcAh4X0iIbanQlwUK9Gs
- CovEd.org is seeking college students to serve as virtual mentors for K-12 students from under-resourced communities. http://www.coved.org/
- WNY Stem – Local need for DIY face masks and face shields https://wnystem.org/2020/03/volunteer-makers-needed-to-make-face-masks/
- Compeer Buffalo is looking for volunteers to make cards with messages of hope and support for their clients. Also looking for phone buddies for adults and older adults. Contact Lisa Johnson at email@example.com.
- All for Good lists a variety of volunteer opportunities https://www.pointsoflight.org/all-for-good/
- Catchafire lists remote skills-based volunteer opportunities https://www.catchafire.org/
- Taproot Foundation list of skills-based volunteer opportunities https://taprootfoundation.org/
Submitted by: Mary Rockwell, PhD, director, New Buffalo Institute