As director of Sew REDI Buffalo, I want to express my deep appreciation for the Canisius community’s support of our clients exhibited on Wednesday, November 29, through purchases of their products.

If you missed the sale, we will be hosting an open house at our classroom at the Catholic Charities ESL Building at 228 Albany at the corner of Herkimer, on the West Side on Saturday, December 16  from 10:00 a.m. – 2:00 p.m.  Just look for the sign outside the building on Herkimer St. to direct you inside.

As many of you know, I am retiring at the end of the academic year.  The rewards of directing Sew REDI Buffalo is second only to the opportunity I have had since 1981 to help Canisius students develop their logical and critical thinking skills.  Following our Wednesday sale, I attended the oral defense of the last senior honors thesis that I am likely to supervise at Canisius.  It was superb.  It reminded me that our students’ outcomes are the result of the input of so many and you should be very proud of what you do and what our students achieve.

I had very mixed emotions about accepting the retirement incentive.  I was well aware that success will mean new and exciting possibilities for Canisius.  Yet, I was also aware that I cannot reinvent myself again and I did not, and do not, believe that I can contribute to that revitalization.  Sew REDI Buffalo is an opportunity for me to apply what I have learned as an academic to improving the well-being of those who are most vulnerable and in need in the WNY community and is an exciting opportunity for me in my retirement.  Sew REDI Buffalo will remain, in the future,  a service-learning site for Canisius students and a project supported by the Canisius Enactus team which is responsible for its beginning.

I have enjoyed a wonderful career at Canisius and am so grateful for what I have received from all of you.  I hope that you will welcome Sew REDI Buffalo to the campus in future years and continue to support it.

I give to all of you my sincerest wishes for a wonderful holiday season and success in the New Year that exceeds all previous success.

With much gratitude, Pat Hutton.

Submitted by: Patricia A. Hutton, PhD, professor of Economics