President John J. Hurley wrote an article for The Buffalo News Another Voice column regarding the recent event hosted by the Canisius College Center for Urban Education. The center recently hosted Jabari Mahiri, PhD, professor of education and William and Mary Jane Brinton Family Chair in Urban Teaching at the University of California, Berkley, and a panel of experts to discuss issues in urban education on October 19. The topic of Mahiri’s lecture was “A New Racial Literacy for Educational Equity.”
The expert panel included:
- Robert Gioia, president of the John R. Oishei Foundation
- Yvette Jackson, senior scholar at the National Urban Alliance for Effective Education
- Nadia Nashir, assistant superintendent of multilingual education for Buffalo Public Schools
- David Rust, executive director for Say Yes to Education, Buffalo
- Finune O. Shaibi ᾽05, supervisor of multilingual student placement for Buffalo Public Schools
Read the article here.
Watch a video of the event here.
Submitted by: College Communications