Select Page

20170209_185851_hdr
Undergraduate students enrolled in Music, Movement and the Arts in Early Childhood Education have the opportunity to actively participate in seminars with arts and classroom teachers at Tapestry Charter School who integrate arts into their teaching practices. Seminar topics include creative movement and dance, drama and theater, visual arts, music, math and dance integration, and displaying and documenting children’s work.

Canisius students reflect each week on their learning experiences at Tapestry:

“The Tapestry sessions have pushed me to go out of my comfort zone in the best way. I have had an idea of what type of teacher I want to be since I was six years old. The program at Canisius and my field placements have helped me shape that idea. All of the things Tapestry stands for are all values I have as a teacher myself and I feel so lucky to learn from a school that shares the same ideas. These Tapestry art integration sessions have been the highlight of my week and taught me more than I have ever hoped.  I am so inspired. Every week I become more and more passionate.” Current student, spring 2017.

“I appreciate the collaboration between the teacher education program and the different teachers at Tapestry and I am once again overwhelmed with ideas for my future classroom.” Current student, spring 2017

Submitted by: Nancy Wallace, associate professor, director, school and community partnerships