Select Page

“Whenever a conscious Black woman raises her voice on issues central to her existence, somebody is going to call her strident, because they don’t want to hear about it, nor us. I refuse to be silenced and I refuse to be trivialized, even if I do not say what I have to say perfectly.”
– Audre Lorde

On Friday, April 10 at 3:00 p.m. in Old Main 208, please join our Women & Gender Studies program in welcoming Shenita Ann McLean for a discussion surrounding issues of race, gender, sexuality, activism, and liberation. McLean will discuss the herstory of the ‘Black Lives Matter’ movement founded by three women: Alicia Garza, Patrisse Cullors, and Opal Tomet. She will also look at the importance of intersectionality in Black radical traditions.

The goal is to have an open discussion about what intersectionality is, as well as looking at its praxis through Black feminism. McLean is an activist and a graduate student in Physical Anthropology.

The event is free and open to the public.

You can follow her on Twitter at: @Pundit_AcadEMIC.

Submitted by: Tanya Loughead, associate professor, philosophy, co-director, women & gender studies