Select Page

As chair of teacher education, Julie Henry, PhD, works to ensure that Canisius students are prepared to be highly effective and professional educators who use their gifts in the service of others. Her belief in education, the college’s mission, and our students inspired her to support Canisius philanthropically. She made her first gift to the Canisius Fund in 2006 and has been a loyal donor ever since.

What do you enjoy most about your current position?

The students! Students really are amazing at Canisius. They are dedicated to making the world a better place. I find them idealistic, hardworking and well-prepared. And it’s just a pleasure.

What motivated you to make your first gift?

I wanted to be a faculty member who acknowledged that Canisius is a great institution, serving great students – I wanted to be someone who contributed to that.

Why do you think it’s important for faculty and staff to support Canisius?

I think we all have to be on the same team; we need to show students and their families that we’re all connected and we know why we’re here – we all need to be part of the whole.

What is your favorite campus event to attend each year?

My favorite campus event is the Mass of the Holy Spirit. I like that it is the kick-off to the academic year and students get to see the Canisius community come together. I feel really invested in that event and close to the people there. My other favorite event is the Blessing of the Brains. It’s just a very warm aspect of the college. As a faculty member, I love to see the students there getting their brains warmed up for finals.

Fun Fact: What was the last book that you read for personal enjoyment?

“How Children Succeed: Grit, Curiosity, and the Hidden Power of Character” – Paul Tough

If you have not yet made a gift, please consider joining Dr. Henry and more than 175 of your colleagues in making a gift to Canisius today at canisius.edu/faculty-staff.

Submitted by: Summer Handzlik, assistant director, Canisius Fund