… everything you see and do is part of your discipline.”

This is something that a former undergraduate friend of mine retweeted on Twitter. I couldn’t help but laugh out loud. It was ironic because that day I had thought about what I was going to blog about this week and it was quite relevant.

Mental Health/School Counseling is often referred to as the “helping profession.” Counselors help people in many ways. This help is through individual and group therapy, advocating and finding resources for a client’s needs, collaborating with professionals to provide necessary and adequate services for people. Each day, even when I’m not in a school working with students and when I’m not in class, I still find myself behaving as a counselor would.

I do not work directly in a counseling field, but I do work as a care provider for people with disabilities. The house I work at serves up to 160 individuals and their families. Each day, families come in to pick up their child and express concerns for their child. These concerns range from the fact that their child is not receiving the services that they are entitled to, to the fact that a neighbor does not like the noise that their child makes due to their diagnosed disability. While my position at work is not to “counsel” families, I find myself providing information, direct resources, and emotional support right there in the doorway.

When I first began the program, my adviser told me to practice my counseling skills is my day to day interactions with people. It wasn’t until recently that I realized that this is what I do on a regular basis, oftentimes without realizing it.

Dr. Moll always says “Be who you are becoming.” This does not mean to sit in 50 minute counseling sessions with everyone that you meet. Instead this means to be present with your loved ones and work clients when they are upset, offer them support, and show that you care. Put yourself in their shoes .