Why did I stay?

It’s always tough to choose which school is best fit for you when you’re a senior in high school.

But what about when you’re a senior in college?

What if the program you seek is right where you are?

I asked these bloggers the simple question: Why did you stay?

“Upon graduation from Canisius College in 2012, I knew graduate school was in my future.  I was fortunate to get a job a couple of months after graduation and I worked for 2 years as an athletic trainer.  I began applying to grad school after the end of my second year working and I knew I wanted to pursue a masters in either Sport Administration or Sport Management.  My top 2 options were to stay at Canisius or move to Philadelphia and attend Drexel University.  I had received graduate assistantships at both schools, just in different departments.  After weighing my options, I decided that it was best for me to attend Canisius.  In choosing Canisius, I was able to still work as an athletic trainer while working in the Graduate Admissions department as a graduate assistant.  I loved my 4 years of undergraduate here at Canisius and I knew I would be 100% comfortable in graduate school.  It has been more than wonderful so far as I love my classes as a Sport Administration major and the people I work with in the graduate admissions department have been so welcoming.  I know I made the right decision in picking Canisius for graduate school and I am excited to see what my future has in store!”

~ Kristen S. – Sport Administration

“As a student who is aspiring to earn my CPA license, I knew I had a fifth year of school ahead of me after undergrad.  I also knew that there are countless ways to earn the educational requirement for the CPA exam.  With so many options available, I decided to return to Canisius for grad school because of the unique opportunity to earn my Masters in Forensic Accounting and continue my education at the at school I enjoyed so much as an undergrad.  The Forensic Accounting is a relatively new option for students and was one of the first programs of its kind in the nation.  The skills I am learning in this program are consistently expanding on many lessons I learned as an undergrad and preparing me for a career.  Also, I knew that the program would offer the same close-knit atmosphere as undergrad did.  The dedicated faculty takes the time to build a relationship with the students.  The faculty work closely with students and are constantly providing us with future career opportunities.”

~ Jon C. – Forensic Accounting 

“My undergraduate experience at Canisius College was something I was proud of. Canisius offered me a very challenging and rewarding experience while pursuing my Bachelors degree. Upon graduation, I was ready and eager to face the real world. I worked for several reputable WNY companies such as North American Breweries, New Era Cap Co., and Fisher Price. I knew that Canisius gave me the skills to get in those doors and be successful in my field. When I decided to go back for Graduate school, Canisius was where I had my heart set. I knew the learning environment, the helpful staff, and the strong curriculum were imperative to continuing my education. I didn’t want to settle for anything less, and I’m so excited and honored to receive my second degree from this highly respected institution.”

~ Lisa F. – School Counseling

“Be a student as long as you still have something to learn, and this will mean all your life.” – Henry L. Doherty

Canisius lasts a life time!