I passed two student tours yesterday, both led by enthusiastic undergrads (I think they were undergrads). There is something so hopeful about a college tour; it inspired me to compose a list. Yes, a list: a bunch of reasons why I like doing graduate work at Canisius. Here is my top ten list for your hopeful enjoyment.
TOP TEN REASONS WHY I LIKE BEING A GRADUATE STUDENT AT CANISIUS COLLEGE (not in order of importance):
1. If you park in the ramp, it is a really close walk to campus (and it’s quite pretty in the snow).
2. I have had some truly inspiring teachers.
3. The other people in my program are really nice and equally as interested in education as I am.
4. The salads in the dining hall are delicious (especially if you put the sesame seeds on them).
5. Canisius has opened me up to a part of Buffalo that I was not familiar with (although I’ve heard that the public transportation is slightly dangerous here, but I can’t confirm this because I drive in my car).
6. The administrators are extremely helpful.
7. The campus has a friendly, safe feeling.
8. Getting selected for The National Writing Project (hosted by Canisius) during the summer was an awesome experience (I have a writing group because of it).
9. I loved going to Hillview Elementary for my observation hours. This was one of the highlights of the program for me.
10. The professors treat you with respect and go out of their way to help you find the right educational path for you (mine has diverted quite considerably along the way and I have found that my professors have written me recommendations for jobs I’ve wanted or have talked to me about possible jobs that I might be interested in).
Anyway, there are some negatives to going here–mainly it’s really expensive, but for me, in my life, right now, I am so glad I picked this school.