Post by Nick Cuomo, Junior, Sports Management major:

CanisiusSure, the class name may be a mouthful to say, but Sport Management Professional Development Seminar is a course that has already had an impact on my career path just weeks into the semester.  Meeting professionals in the field and researching opportunities are both aspects of the class that have helped me continue the process of earning my degree while determining what I want to do after I graduate.

We have had the opportunity to hear from guest speakers, both involved in sport, and in business in general.  One thing I can say for sure is that I’ve taken something positive away from each speaker no matter what their background is.  Whether it is a tip for your future cover letters, resume or interview process, there is always something helpful you can take away from the speakers.  Some even expressed current opportunities they have that we might be interested in.  That sort of information may not apply to everyone, but to someone looking for a chance to gain experience and prove his or her worth, it is huge.

Building off the opportunities that speakers shared with us, we also have researched possible internship and entry-level job opportunities that interest us.  This helps us narrow down what it is exactly that we want to do and informs us of what opportunities there are out there and how we can find them.  This course has shown me the importance of websites like Handshake and LinkedIn, both of which I was relatively unfamiliar with before this semester.  These sites are really important when it comes to networking and building connections and I’m glad I have more knowledge of them now. hs_logo_nameinline-cccdff3ddfdb76badb37273839511f9d788109ead507775b91d72fddef62b5ed

Looking forward, there is a lot to be optimistic about in the course.  Just this past week we began on the topic of resumes.  They are such an integral part of the application process for internships and jobs, along with your cover letter.  That is another topic that we will address later in the semester.  I am excited to further work on my resume and to learn the do’s and don’ts of a cover letter.  Having more knowledge on both resumes and cover letters will make applying for positions much easier in the future and I look forward to learning more about them this semester.