Life After Graduation: Opportunity Awaits

For the past two years I have been fortunate to attend Canisius College in one of the best Sport Administration Master’s programs in the country. Having finished my Master’s last week and with graduation ahead, all of my experiences, professional connections, and...

read more

NCAA Frozen Four – By: Conor Hart

Each year 16 of the nation’s top Collegiate Hockey Programs square off, all with the same goal to reach the NCAA Frozen Four.  This years tournament’s First and Second rounds of the East Region were held at the Times Union Center, in Albany New York.  Quinnipiac, the...

read more

Canisius College Bowl N’ Blast

Canisius College Master of Sport Administration program will be putting on its 13th annual Bowl N’ Blast fundraiser this April, with all benefits going to the Special Olympics of Western New York. A class of eight students is putting on the event with the...

read more

2016 MAAC Basketball Championships

The month of March marks the biggest tournament for NCAA basketball and each season teams from different conferences compete in hopes to advance to this annual March Madness tournament. Since Canisius is in the MAAC conference, every year they battle for the final...

read more

Super Bowl 50: My Media Relations Experience

I was recently afforded the best opportunity of my young career in sports. A few weeks ago I traveled to San Francisco to work Super Bowl 50 as part of the NFL Public Relations Staff. I was offered one of the positions after working the NFL season as a graduate...

read more

Buffalo Bills: A Guest Service Experience

Last semester I had the privilege to take a new class being offered called Guest Service Professional.  This new class was designed to give hands on, practical experience outside of the classroom and into the professional sports world.  The class required us to work...

read more

Why Canisius?

What brought these students to Canisius? ...Was it fate? ...Was it the people?  ...Was it the program? I asked a couple of our bloggers the simple question: Why Canisius?   "The first thing I looked for in applying to Grad School was the Sport Administration program....

read more

What were you thinking?

That's the question I get asked all the time when people find out I moved from California. At times, I've asked the same question of myself. "What am I doing here?" But every time I ask that question, I remember. In spite of the cold, I am here in Buffalo because it...

read more

HarborCenter Opening Night

On October 31, At about 5:00, I stepped off of the elevator foot on the seventh floor of the HarborCenter, Buffalo’s new state of the art hockey facility, which now serves home to the Canisius College Golden Griffins Men’s Hockey Team. As I walked into the new...

read more

MSA Students Experience NCAA Tournament

On March 20th and 22nd, the 2nd and 3rd rounds of the NCAA Men's Basketball tournament took place right here in Buffalo, NY at the First Niagara Center (Home of the Buffalo Sabres and the Buffalo Bandits). The tournament was co-hosted by The Metro Atlantic Athletic...

read more

March Madness!

March Madness is a sensation that controls that national sports world from the 2nd week of March through the first week of April. The NCAA tournament provides exciting entertainment for people of all ages and ultimately determines the National Championship team for...

read more

The Importance of Networking!

The Canisius MSA Program has been planning many exciting events these last couple of weeks! On February 25th the Admissions Department and The Sports Administration Department got together for a student recruitment event. The event was held at the Sabres Stadium....

read more

MSA Students Take On Dallas!

Official Sponsor of the 2014 U.S.A. Olympians, Chobani Greek Yogurt did not make it to Sochi, Russia due to a dispute with the Russian Government. According to an article published in the New York Times, Russian authorities would not allow delivery of the yogurt...

read more

Taking Opportunities

"Life opens up opportunities to you, and you either take them or you stay afraid of taking them." Jim Carrey Last Wednesday, myself, five other Masters in Sport Administration (MSA) students, and Dr. O’Rourke, our director of sport administration, returned from...

read more

Ethical Issues of Sport

Did you hear the latest news about Alex Rodriguez? Once again, rumors are out that he has been doping throughout his career.  Although these issues are returning, the Yankees still aren’t throwing A- Rod to the side. It has been said that A -Rod may show up to...

read more

The Price of Working in College Athletics

First of all let me introduce myself. My name is Garrett Layton, I'm 23 years old and am in my second year as a graduate assistant in charge of multimedia in the Athletic Communication department here at Canisius College. By no means was or am I an english major, so I...

read more

The Healing Power of Sports

"In every community, there is work to do be done. In every nation, there are wounds to heal. In every heart, there is the power to do it." -- Marianne Williamson Sports play an important role in our society. After the massacres that occurred at Newtown Elementary...

read more

MAACachusettes (Yr 2)

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” Ralph Waldo Emerson  MAAC Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championship Seven MSA students, and myself, on Tuesday got back from Springfield, Massachusetts. 16 games, 82 hours working and 11 hours of travel, will make...

read more

San Jose and March Madness

"To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities." Bruce Lee With the large alumni around the country, Canisius MSA students got another great opportunity to volunteer and make great connections. Robert Tigani, MSA 2012, recently had an internship with the West...

read more

What not to do!

“The greater the power, the more dangerous the abuse.” Edmund Burke With the newest revelations out of Rutgers University, Mike Rice has been fired for the abuse of his players. If you lived under a rock for the past couple of days, I will give you the cliff notes...

read more

Experience, Yes Please!

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty." Winston Churchill I am going to be honest with you all! I just had three interviews over the past couple of weeks and all three have gone towards internal...

read more

Student Profile – Kimi Silverstein

“There is only one thing more painful than learning from experience, and that is not learning from experience.”  - Laurence J. Peter This semester I will profile students from the program to help give you a better understanding of the program in different ways. This...

read more

Negotiating Our Way Into A Better Life

“By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail.” - Benjamin Franklin The spring semester has started and the MSA program has been up and running. Over the past month, many students have had the great experiences of interviewing and negotiating for internships,...

read more

Halftime

“Don't give up at half time. Concentrate on winning the second half.” - Paul Bryant Although there is no snow on the ground, the Christmas spirit is in the air and that means the end of the semester has finally arrived. Finals week was December 10th – 14th and I am...

read more

Griffs Involvement

“There are many types of participation. One can observe so intensely that one becomes part of the action, but without being an active participant.” - Jerzy Kosinski One of the great things about Canisius, especially being an Master of Sport Management (MSA) student,...

read more

Daily Grind – Day in the Life of MSA student

"The secret of your future is hidden in your daily routine.” – Mike Murdock   Many people wonder what MSA students do during their days and so I thought it would be a great idea to show you traditionally how our students utilize their days. Here is my daily routine.  ...

read more

Money Back Guarantee?!?!

"The only difference between a good shot and a bad shot is if it goes in or not." - Charles Barkley I got a phone call from a friend of mine that was attending a Phoenix Suns game on December 6th. He called me up and asked if I had ever heard of a professional team...

read more

Live from the Winter Baseball Meetings

"Baseball: Almost the only place in life where a sacrifice is really appreciated." - Mark Beltaire Hello everyone, This week was one of those weeks in which I am incredibly happy at the opportunities that we have at this program that you don’t get at other programs....

read more

The Future of Sports

“The best thing about the future is that it comes only one day at a time.” – Abraham Lincoln Recently I was reading Wired Magazine and came upon an article written by Samuel Arbesman entitled “Who Needs Players? Simulated Games Are the Future of Sports.” What caught...

read more

Strike One, Your Rich!

“If your not cheating, your not trying! “– Mark Grace Alright….I’m mad! As an avid baseball lover, it tears me apart to see PED (performance enhancing drugs) continue and athletes receive the benefits from it. MLB athletes are getting huge contracts after they have...

read more

Title IX…A Legacy of Change

“Athletes don’t care about Title IX. They just want to play the game!”- Shannon Blosser While I was working the basketball game on Nov. 9th, Canisius honored the women who played basketball in the initial year of Title IX. 2012 is the 40th anniversary of Title IX,...

read more

MSA Cares

“To do more for the world than the world does for you - that is success.” - Henry Ford- As I begin my journey into my final year in the Sport Administration (MSA) program, I am excited about the changes that are going on. Since last you heard from me, I have become...

read more

The Final Countdown

So here we are. The semester is complete. My coursework is complete. Graduation is complete. But now begins a countdown to what I have been waiting for my whole life. I have accepted a position with the United States Anti-Doping Agency and I will begin work in...

read more

First Year Wisdom

The choices we make about the lives we live determine the kinds of legacies we leave. -Travis Smiley-  As the semester quickly sneaks up on us, I want to take this time to give some advise and thoughts on this year and what I have learned so far. I understand that we...

read more

Hockey Playoffs

All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity. -Gordie Howe As the hockey playoffs start it is incredible to see Buffalo and my friends get all riled up about hockey.  Being from Colorado, I didn’t really experience hockey as a youth besides the...

read more

NIRSA Conference

The greatest wealth is health   -Virgil- The NIRSA Conference (National Intramural-Recreational Sports Association) is the national conference that deals with recreational, sport and wellness, on collegiate campuses around the nation. The NIRSA conference was a great...

read more

Bowl N’ Blast Success

Let me win, but if I cannot win, let me be brave in the attempt. -Special Olympics Motto- One of the great classes that this program offers is Special Events.  This class is an elective, only offered in the spring that focuses on sport event management. This is a...

read more

Does Jamie Moyer Need a Cane?

What you do today can improve all your tomorrows.       -Ralph Marston- Jamie Moyer recently became the oldest pitcher in Major League Baseball to earn a win.  He accomplished this feat at the ripe old age of 49 years and 150 days.  Moyer gave up six hits, and no...

read more

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year

“Baseball, it is said, is only a game. True. And the Grand Canyon is only a hole in Arizona. Not all holes, or games, are created equal.”- George F. Will quotes As I get back into the usual swing of school, jobs, and internships it was tough to leave Phoenix, AZ to...

read more

Internships into Careers

“Be prepared, work hard, and hope for a little luck. Recognize that the harder you work and the better prepared you are, the more luck you might have.” – Ed Bradley             As a program we are focusing on reconnecting with our alumni and over the past couple of...

read more

MAACachusetts

“Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.” - Ralph Waldo Emerson  MAAC Men’s and Women’s Basketball Championship Twelve MSA students, and myself, on Tuesday got back from Springfield, Massachusetts. 16 games, 82 hours working and 14 hours of travel,...

read more

Take Me Back

Hello everyone! I hope that everybody has had a good couple of weeks since we last communicated. I've been doing my consistent routine of work, class, and internship. It's really starting to wind down so the job search is getting into crunch time. I will be going home...

read more

Morals and Ethics in Sport

Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself - Leo Tolstoy                 Over the past couple of weeks we have been doing some soul searching in our Philosophies and Ethics class to understand how our own morals and ethics play into...

read more

Working for a living

Hello everyone! It's been a while since I have logged on so I'll try not to be rusty. First off, I hope that everyone had a great Christmas break and a happy new year! I was fortunate enough to see my family (minus my brother) in Indiana for the Christmas season and I...

read more

Rookie Post

On Tuesday, I touched down in Buffalo after an incredible, albeit exhausting, weekend in Oklahoma City. Our MSA program sent four individuals, myself included, to the National Sports Forum in Oklahoma City to participate in the Case Cup.  The Case Cup is an annual...

read more

Already There

Hello everyone! So we are winding down to the end of the semester. It is in sight for us all. I'm looking forward to finishing this semester up and seeing my family for the first time in a while. I'll be flying to Indianapolis on the 20th to spend Christmas at my...

read more

Welcome Back

Welcome back from your Thanksgiving break! I hope that everybody enjoyed their time with family/friends/whoever and had a lot of great food! The past couple of weeks have been pretty hectic so I will be doing multiple blogs in the next week or so. With this post, I...

read more

Everything I Am

Welcome back for another blog update! I hope that everyone has had a great week so far. Let's see, things have been pretty busy as we cut into the last couple weeks of the semester. I cant believe that it is coming up on Thanksgiving already! Time sure has flown by....

read more

November Rain

Hello again! We're back for another round. I hope that everyone had a great Halloween weekend and a great week after. Classes are starting to wind down as we are entering the final stretch of the semester. I can't believe that I only have one semester left at Canisius...

read more

As The Rhythm Goes On

Hey everybody! Welcome back to another blog. This week, I have a couple things to go over: schoolwork, internship work and other fun stuff in between. I want to start off by wishing everybody a safe a happy Halloween weekend! Don't do anything I wouldn't do. Since my...

read more

Leader of the Pack

The past couple of weeks have been a great learning experience.  Through completing multiple presentations and listening to some great speakers, I have been able to a.) get better at something I am not too comfortable with (public speaking) and b.) listen to some...

read more

Moment of Clarity

Hello again!  It's been a couple of weeks since I've talked to you guys but we're back with lots of good stuff.  Since last time, many different aspects of the Canisius experience have picked up steam.  Class projects and papers are starting to take form, my Sabres...

read more

Cameras

The first week and a half of school are complete and it’s looking to be a busy semester for me.  I'll be taking two classes on campus with another class taking place at Ralph Wilson Stadium.  Along with those classes, I'll be working here at the admissions office and...

read more

Lift Off

Summer is winding down and a new school year is upon us.  The last few weeks have been filled with travel, excitement, rest, and a lot of rain.  Since last time I checked in I have spent a weekend in Toronto.  It was my first time up into Ontario and it didn't...

read more

Finally finished

Well I got all of my grades back for summer semester, and I'm happy with how I did, but now I'm even more stressed about the job hunt than ever.  I had an interview on Monday, on the phone with an NFL team, haven't heard back about it yet, but he said I would hear...

read more

Well Hello August!

The month of July flew by, I think a lot of it is because I was doing school work and enjoying New York City.  I submitted my last final on Saturday night (24 hours early, thank you very much), and it's odd now, because I feel like I should still be doing homework. ...

read more

O Canada

Hello again. Hope that everyone has had a good past couple of weeks. I have been doing the same old, same old. But I am heading up to Toronto this weekend! It will be my first time in Ontario and I am looking forward to it. One of my friends is flying up from back...

read more

Feeling the Heat

Sorry my post is late, the beginning of the week got away from me and I was trying to get ahead on my assignments for the week. I'm heading back to Rochester next week to help with a project for a few days. Still no word from jobs here in the city, but I keep applying...

read more

Beautiful Bliss

We're back on the grind. Back in Buffalo after an amazing weekend at home. I got to spend time with some family, friends and BBQ. Can't get better than that. But, now we are back to reality, working everyday and trying to mold the future into something poetic. Now...

read more

These Days

It’s been a couple of weeks since the last blog update. I finished up my class for the summer (it went well, pending final grade). I’ve been catching up on some recreational reading. I’ve been lounging around, mainly. Nothing to fun, right? But the next few weeks should be a lot of fun.

read more

Back in NYC

So I got back to New York City, living with my friend Devin from home for the month, looking for jobs and just taking a mental break from home. It’s been an adventure thus far, and it’s only been 3 days.

read more

Week 5=>Week 1

So week 5 was a bit stressful, I had a bunch of papers due and not very much free time to do so because of working. I knew summer classes were going to be a lot, but I took on too much with work, I’m just glad I survived and hopefully my grades reflect the amount of work I did put in, along with the 3 all-nighters I pulled just to get all my work done throughout the 5 weeks.

read more

Week 4

Week 4, I’m going crazy. Had to pull an all nighter to get all of my homework done, working 46 hours wasn’t a great choice, but I got to look at the pluses, money for NYC. My friend has a sublet from July 1st to August 1st, so this girl is going to spend a month in NYC, and hopefully if I can get a full time position, I will be staying. I’ve already started looking for jobs, even though I’ve been looking for well over a year, I’m going into over drive. I’m super excited to see my friends and old roommates and just be back in New York, even though it may not be permanent.

read more

Week 3

So I apologize for being a slacker when it comes to updating my blog, I’m going to try to go back and fill you all in, on the last couple weeks, so I will be posting a couple of blogs in a row. Week 3, summer session is flying by, it’s crazy. I’m really loving one of my classes, and the other one, the professor is clearly new to this online teaching thing, so they’re a bit disorganized and that sort of bugs me. I also agreed to work a lot of hours, which is great in terms of money, but doesn’t leave a lot of time left for homework or sleep.

read more

Electric Feel

And we’re back, better than ever. Summer is in full swing. Students are in class, people are outside, and life continues to move on. Since the last time I wrote I have experienced some of Buffalos great offerings. I have taken in a Bisons game, which they unfortunately lost. I have volunteered down in Orchard Park. I have gone to my first “Thursday at the Square.” And I’m also back in class.

read more

Summer Break…what’s that???

So it’s on to the second week of summer classes, and needless to say it’s intense! It’s so hard to pack 15 weeks of material into 5 weeks, I’m afraid I’m going to miss something, and it’s hard to keep up with everything. All of my friends are enjoying vacation and being home, or hanging out in nice places, and I’m stuck home doing homework like a mad women.

read more

I Wonder

Let’s hop into the DeLorean, fire up the flux capacitor, gun it to 88 mph and take a trip back in time. About nine months ago, I was in North Carolina. I had recently graduated from North Carolina State University and all of that joy and elation came with confusion and frustration. I had no full time job, and I didn’t even really know what it was that I wanted to do. It was somewhat like Chris Moltisanti in The Sopranos when he was trying to decide what it is he had passion for, the movie industry or the “family”. I hope to end up much differently than Mr. Moltisanti, let’s just leave it at that.

read more

Looking Back

So now that I’m nearly done with my classes for this semester, I sit here thinking about the last year I’ve had. It seems like I left New York City way more than 4 months ago, I miss it so much. I miss working in the sports industry. I miss being in a big city. I miss hanging out with some of the most amazing people I know, and meeting new people who love the sports industry as well. This semester dragged on and went so fast all at the same time. I worked my behind off on my classes this semester, so I hope my grades reflect all of the hard work I put in.

read more

No Sleep ‘Til Brooklyn

Last week of class, Summer on the horizon, and continual postseason basketball. It really does not get better than that. So, only two more classes in the semester, one take home final, and two in-class finals and then the good stuff starts. This is certainly a time of the year where I cut back drastically in sleep. I think that I have gotten under 15 hours of sleep total the past 3 nights, and I’m running on fumes right now.

read more

All-nighters = Thumbs down

So it’s 2:38 am on Tuesday, May 3, 2011. I have made the horrible choice to stay up as long as I can tonight to finish one of my finals that I may have put off a little too long. While it’s not due right away, I generally like to work through papers until I’m finished so I don’t get side-tracked. I was planning on starting it yesterday night, but with all of the events that unfolded — I was on the phone with friends at West Point and checking in with my family, some of which are traveling this week.

read more

Man in the Mirror

What a wonderful day outside! This weather is about as close to perfect as it has been since I’ve been here. In the high 60’s/low 70’s with a breeze? Yes, please! I’m excited to get closer to the summer in Buffalo because EVERYONE says that it is great. I have been online, checking out some festivals and other happenings during the summer and found some cool things. Taste of Buffalo, the National Buffalo Wing Festival, the Hellenic Festival, what could beat that? Not much.

read more

Blah!

Not sure what it is, hoping it’s just the change in weather, but I’ve had a killer headache for the last couple days and it’s not helping my productivity. Can’t believe classes are winding up soon, trying to stay on top of my assignments, and even get ahead if I can. It’s really nice out today — 78 degrees — but they’re calling for storms later, which is fine cause I love thunderstorms.

read more

It Don’t Have To Change

So here I am, watching the Knicks play and updating everyone on the happenings around Buffalo and the Canisius community. The weather has been interesting in the past week. After some sun and warmth, the snow came back to Buffalo! It was something I certainly did not expect to see again until the Fall came around, but I am a rookie here. Being from North Carolina, I actually like the snow, but I’ll keep you updated on that if it continues to snow in April.

read more

I need a few more hours in the day…

So I almost forgot to update my blog this week, I’ve been procrastinating terribly as of late, and that’s not my normal attitude at all. I think I’m just burnt out, I’ve been working more hours than normal, doing homework for what seems like 24 hours a day, and trying to keep up with interviews and resumes. I haven’t been sleeping much, so I’m pretty worn down.

read more

Good Life

We are now entering a great time of year. Its getting warm (but not too warm) outside, we are entering the final strecth of classes for the semester, and playoffs are beginning. NBA playoffs that is. I have not watched more than one period of hockey at all this year, and that will probably not change. The Garden is going to be rocking, and I cant wait to watch the Knicks pull off a first round upset.

read more

Lord Stanley, who art in heaven, hallowed be thy name. Thy playoffs come, thy games be won, on the road as it is in…

Well, it’s finally here, hockey fans favorite time of the year, Stanley Cup playoff time. I won’t say who I’m cheering for, but if you know me at all, you can probably figure it out. I’ve been looking at tickets to try to get to some of the playoff games, but who knows if time or money will allow. Along with having free time from schoolwork to travel, I’m hoping I can get a couple days off to travel at some point this summer — need to get out of Rochester for a little while, have some fun with people I haven’t seen in a while. We will have to wait and see how that works out.

read more

Registration SURPRISE!!!

So last night I went through my required course list and found the final three classes I need to take before I’m done with my Masters in Sport Administration. I was planning on finishing in the fall, but when I went to register for classes, Professional Sports isn’t offered in the fall!

read more

NC State of Mind.

And we’re back! My break officially ended today as I had both work and class. I hope everyone had a great break, I know that I did. Even though I didn’t have a “typical” spring break, I still had a great time. I worked four of five days last week and had a couple of assignments to work on.

read more

Columbus

Yes, hockey fans, that is me and the Stanley Cup. Our MSA trip to Columbus, OH this weekend included watching the Columbus Blue Jackets (NHL) and Columbus Crew (MLS), tours of their facilities, as well as a tour of Ohio Stadium at OSU. Click the title to find out some more!

read more

I think Spring didn’t get the memo…

I realize this is Upstate New York, but I’m over snow, cold weather and ice. I’m ready for it to be nice outside so I can go out and run around with the kids I babysit, walk outside without my winter jacket on, you get the point.

read more

As The Rhythm Goes On.

Spring break is here. Students have all gone home/on vacation and campus is pretty dull. I will be spending the majority of my spring break in Buffalo, working. However, with no classes I have a lot of free time to do school for the upcoming weeks.

read more

Group Projects

So, group projects. I’m not really a fan of them. I guess I liked them better when I wasn’t in an online program. I just feel insanely stressed out that a large majority of my grade for a couple classes lay at the hand of other individuals. And because I’ve never met any of these people in person, that makes it even more difficult.

read more

Spring Break? Really?

I can’t believe it’s already Spring Break! This week is a break for me in the truest sense of the word–I have little-to-no plans/work to do, but I’m excited for a trip to Columbus I’ll be going on next week with some MSA students.

read more

The Motivation

What a week this has been. After coming back from the MAAC Championships, I felt like I haven’t had a good night sleep until last night. I’ve been real tired for about a week but I’m starting to get caught up on all of my resting.

read more

Here comes the sun…

I don’t want to get too excited, but I’m super stoked that I can look outside and see grass and no snow. While I’m sure there’s more to come, I’m going to enjoy this weather while I can.

read more

Let The Good Times Roll!

Another edition of the weekly blog post! This week I went to see the Buffalo Bandits with some students from my program, and this weekend we all sprung forward. Click the title to read how the rest of my week went, I’m looking forward to a nice, relaxing Spring Break in another week or so!

read more

MAAC Basketball Championships

Click the title above to read what I was able to take from working at the MAAC Basketball Championships, in Bridgeport, CT! It was certainly a busy weekend, and I was really pleased with the experience I gained, as well as one particular experience that goes beyond my resume…

read more

Overwhelmed…

This week is just too much for me. It seems I’m in over my head. I’m sure I will be fine, but I hate when I feel like this. School work this week is INSANE! Along with working extra hours I babysat 2 days and did photos for 3 possibly 4 games this coming weekend. I’ll just invest in some serious caffeine and cut back on sleeping. Once I get going, I usually can bang out a few assignments in a row. I just need to get myself to that point. Is it spring break yet?

read more

Real As It Gets

So tomorrow, I am headed out to Bridgeport, CT until next Tuesday. I am fortunate for the opportunity to work at the MAAC Basketball Championships. It is going to be a great experience to learn what all goes into producing events, and it is going to be a great chance to meet professionals in the industry. Networking is obviously very important to ones career, and this is a great step that I am able to take with Canisius College.

read more