Like myself, most accounting students have a professional goal of passing four strenuous exams to get three simple letters after their name: CPA (Certified Public Accountant). Certification as a CPA is the most well known and most common professional designation in the accounting world, but did you know there are numerous other professional certifications available to accountants? I knew a career in accounting would offer many different opportunities for specialization, but I didn’t know just how many unique areas of certification for accountants were available. You may also be surprised to find out just how many there are! Some of these include: Certified Management Accountant (CMA), Certified Internal Auditor (CIA), Certified Valuation Analyst (CVA), Certified Financial Planner (CFP), and Certified Merger and Acquisition Professional (CMAP).

Another of these designations that I find especially interesting is the Certified Fraud Examiner (CFE), which ultimately focuses on detecting fraud and hindering fraudulent activities. Canisius College actually offers a Masters in Forensic Accounting program that is focused around this area and, although I am not in the program myself, students with whom I have spoken that are in the program note just how interesting their classes are and how much they have enjoyed their experiences in the program. Just by looking at the curriculum, it is apparent that students in the MSF program are taking some very unique accounting classes. For example, some of the courses include: White Collar Crime, Fraud Examination: Detection & Deterrence, Computer Forensics, and Advanced Financial Investigations. Therefore, for those who have knack for research and investigation and an interest in legal matters, this graduate program would be a great one to consider!

*More information about the Canisius MSF program can be found here: https://www.canisius.edu/business/forensic-accounting/