“Be prepared, work hard, and hope for a little luck. Recognize that the harder you work and the better prepared you are, the more luck you might have.” – Ed Bradley

As a program we are focusing on reconnecting with our alumni and over the past couple of weeks I have talked with many alumni and current students. During our discussions I asked many of them about career and internship advice. As many of us know, Internships are the easiest and quickest way to work oneself into the sports industry.  I currently am interning with the Fergie Jenkins Foundation in St. Catharine’s, Ontario. There are hundreds of people in our program, including myself, are actively pursuing their passions and getting very good internships which hopefully will land them a job in the future.  However, once that internship is done, many are trying to get full time positions to launch their careers.  After much discussion with students and alumni this is what I have compiled about turning an internship into a full time job:

1. Performance – Performance is important!  Work hard because you never know who is watching.  Also, this is your job at the time so take it serious.  Present yourself well and always ask questions!
  2. Organization – Often times it really depends on the organizational need and budgets at that time.  Currently, many organizations are used to getting more accomplished with less employees.
  3. Your worth – This may be tied into performance, but worth is something that many organizations use to justify hiring or firing of individuals. What is your worth in an organization?  I often tell everybody that I talk to continue to grow and learn new aspects of business.  If you’re in sales try and learn marketing or advertising skills.  The more you can do, the more you are worth to an organization.
  4. Timing – Sometimes you have it, sometimes you don’t!  Life is funny that way!!
  5. Luck – Sometimes you are in the right place at the right time!

Todays quote comes from Ed Bradley and I believe that it speaks directly to this issue.  I believe that everybody makes his or her own luck in life.  Sure sometimes we have bad luck, but I believe that through perseverance and hard work you make your own luck.  So how can you land a job from an internship?  Work hard, show your worth to an organization, and hope for the best.  It wouldn’t hurt to buy a lucky rabbits foot too.

Until next time, take care!