Around this time of year people are always talking about the importance of being thankful for what you have, not in terms of material items, but for your health and your family. The one thing I am most thankful for is my education. We are privileged in the United States to have the opportunity, no matter your financial or social status, to be able to attend public school. Public schools in the United States do not discriminate against one’s gender or race as many other cultures do.

We learn throughout history how the United States was not always this way; back in early America girls were forbidden from attending school past a certain age because they were expected to tend to the duties around the house and get married and raise children. Also, schools used to not allow people of color to attend schools simply because of their race. Nowadays, we have come so far in our education system.

I would not be where I am today without the support from my parents as well who pushed me to do well in school. Even before I started kindergarten my mom and dad would work with my brother and me before dinner doing math problems and every night before bed we would read books together. I think this foundation of education helped me to achieve academically and continues to help me in my studies in the TESOL program.

I am very thankful for my job, even if I am still trying to obtain a full time teaching position, because I can help mold the minds of children as my parents and my teachers did for me.