Hi Everyone!

My name is Jon Corona and I am currently a student in the Forensic Accounting program here at Canisius College.  To avoid repeating information, I will refrain from writing an “about me” section in this post.  Although for those readers who are itching to know more about the author, be sure to check out the about the author section!

This is my first semester as Forensic Accounting student as well as my first semester as being a blogger (so please bear with me!).  This blog will be about my experiences throughout the year as a student in the program and I hope that those who read the posts will learn all that this unique and exciting program has to offer.

To get things started, I figure it is fitting to describe how I got started in the program.  The past four years I have spent here at Canisius as an undergraduate student at Canisius in the Accounting program seeking to fulfill the requirements for the CPA exam and find a career in public accounting.  Canisius’ great success with the CPA exam was one of the reasons that I choose the school.  In fact, last year (2013) graduates taking the exam ranked first in New York State in pass rates!

Learning how to Discover Frauds

What originally grabbed my attention in accounting is the idea of preventing and detecting white-collar crimes.  Fortunately, what I learn in my forensic accounting program is exactly that; the knowledge needed to combat such crimes.  Not only am I learning this specific and in demand skill set, I am also fulfilling CPA exam requirements.  Specifically, the CPA exam has an educational requirement which includes at least 150 credit hours of classes, among other requirements.  As a result, many students looking to eventually earn their CPA license will be enrolled in a five year program at their respective school.  In other words, the classes I am taking as part of the Forensic program are giving me a unique skill set while allowing me to fulfill my educational requirement.  Talk about a “win – win” situation!

Looking forward, my future posts will focus on the many highlights of the program as I attempt to summarize all of the great experiences of a student in Canisius’ Forensic Accounting program.  Feel free to ask any questions you may have!

Stay tuned and thanks for reading!