“A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.”

Winston Churchill

I am going to be honest with you all! I just had three interviews over the past couple of weeks and all three have gone towards internal candidates. I recently was talking to a hiring manager at the Buffalo Bills whom exclaimed that often organizations turn internally because if they open a position up externally, they get hundreds if not thousands of emails or applications from around the country. He also explained that for an entry or mid level positions that it is easier to train someone you know, and that an organization is going to go after you it will be in the higher level positions at VP or executives. So always, always go after experience. Internships, volunteer opportunities, anything to get you in the door is what you need to do!

Why do I explain this to you? Well, the sports industry, its competitive folks! Not every town has a professional team, and those professional teams are very, very loyal and look internally. I applied for multiple positions at the Bills and again all went internally candidates. Some might get discouraged, I certainly did for a minute, but then I realized that nothing worth having is easy! Sure I can get a 9-5 job not in sports, but I care and love sports! I don’t want to be a fan working in sports, I want to make these teams great and I will continue to beat down the doors at the Bills and go after every opportunity. Besides, I’ve sacrificed a lot to get here, and now is not the time to go back!

Until Next time,

Brent Gray