A little over a year ago I had a meltdown during my International Communication class. I will never forget sitting in the second to last row and reflecting on where my life was going. I was 21 years old, had one semester left in undergrad, and had no plan. The majority of my friends were signing contracts with businesses, deciding which post-grad internship would help shape their resumes, or raving about the new cities they would explore while in graduate school. Meanwhile, I was breaking down. The only thing I knew was that I would be directing a summer camp, which would be over at the end of August.

So I did what any intelligent person would do. I pulled out my phone and googled “communication graduate programs.” To give you a little background I changed my major five times in undergrad before choosing communication. I learned at an early age that public speaking was my passion and talking in general was my favorite sport. I started as a telecommunication major but after a year of being told what to do, I decided to find a major that would teach me the art of communication and the freedom of expression. I stumbled upon a webpage with hundreds of potential programs. Did I mention that I was in the middle of Bowling Green, Ohio at the time? If you’ve never heard of it I totally get it because no one has. It was my hidden treasure and it was breaking my heart just thinking about leaving, but I had to make a decision and I was not ready to go into the work force — partially because I did not prepare and partially because I was not 35 and could not run for president. As I continued my search I knew that home (Cleveland, OH) was out of the question. I kept scrolling until I found a major that I loved and a school that I could not pronounce. The program was called Communication and Leadership and the school was Canisius College. I sat there stunned because I knew that communication was my life and leadership has always been second nature. For the rest of my hour and fifteen-minute class, I researched the program and got just enough information to answer all of the questions I knew my parents would throw my way.

The moment class was over I ran outside and called my mom. I didn’t even let her say hello and began explaining that I wasn’t ready to be a full time employee, how I saw myself continuing my education, and my desire to add more degrees to my wall. I told her that I found a school, a program, and I was determined to go. She didn’t even question it. In her wonderful mom tone, she said “Ok. Do what you’ve gotta do.” That was in October 2016. By March 2017, I had completed my application, visited Buffalo, and was accepted into the Communication and Leadership program while simultaneously scrambling to figure out how I would finance school (don’t worry I figured it out). Stay tuned for my next post to read about the 10 things graduate school has taught me thus far.