Life in Buffalo!

I just want to start by saying: Buffalo gets a really bad rap. On average, Syracuse gets more snow than us! But either way, most people thought I was crazy. As a Vermonter, I’m used to the snow but I have mountains as a way to entertain the snow. So naturally, when I...

read more

Health before School

Bold title right? All my life I was told that school comes first. I operated on this mentality. When I was a kid I would get my homework done and then my parents would grant me passage to go outside and play with my friends until the sunset. In undergrad, I was...

read more

While You Have Options, You Have Hope

There’s no easy way to put this, graduate school is hard. No one really advertised it as being simple but in the grand scheme of things us students wouldn’t mind if it was. You’re learning an abundance of useful material while simultaneously balancing homework,...

read more

Welcome new students!

It is that time again! This is the week when all graduate students in the Anthrozoology master's program meet on campus for the beginning of a new exciting semester. This time we have 21 new stellar students joining the veterans for 4 days of intense meetings to start...

read more

Buffalo Restaurant Week!

Last week Buffalo finished one of the best weeks of the year – Local Restaurant Week! As we all know, our city is on the rise and Buffalonians are beaming with pride, so what better way to celebrate this than with independent local restaurants serving up some of the...

read more

Canisius Zoological Society

Do you love animals? Want to make a difference in their lives? Look no further! Canisius Zoological Society is the place for you! The club is formed by students from all backgrounds and areas of interest.     Every year the club plans activities both locally and...

read more

Adios, Canisius!

Hello, Canisius! Wow! It's hard to believe that I have officially completed my Masters degree! Two and half years of hard work and graduate school is a wrap! That being said, this is also my very last blog post 🙁 I don't even know where to begin in talking about all...

read more

Meditating Your Way Through Finals

Hey there Griffs! Finals week is that magical time that happens at the end of every semester when we have to try and cram everything that we learned during the semester back into our brains so that we can try and pass a test. There's long nights, lots of time spent...

read more

Flying Bison Brewery Tour with MBAA

Candy sounds like a great dinner during this stressful Finals Week!     I wanted to catch you up on the great events that have been happening this semester! Even though the MBA Alumni Association is an organization for those who have graduated from the MBA...

read more

Another Great Canisius Experience

About 6 months ago, I received an email about retreats through campus ministries. As I was looking at the dates, I realized that the only date that worked for my schedule was my 25th birthday weekend. Ohhh what the heck? SIGN ME UP! As the date drew closer, I realized...

read more

5 Things I learnt Shooting Guns for my College

This week’s blog comes following a momentous event. This past weekend, I had the good fortune of spending my time shooting for Canisius in my last tournament as a member of the Canisius College Rifle Team. After a delightfully upbeat drive down after an evening...

read more

On Campus Component

The online Master’s degree Canisius offers in Anthrozoology is different from your average online program in many ways. One of the coolest ways that it differs is an aspect of the program they call the OCC. This stands for On Campus Component. At the beginning of...

read more

Jumping in with Both Feet as a Returning Student

Throughout college and my professional life in public health, a voice in the back of my mind nagged me about working with nonhuman animals. I was never interested in practicing animal medicine. I was more interested in the psychological and physical lives of nonhumans...

read more

Why did I stay?

Why did I stay? It's always tough to choose which school is best fit for you when you're a senior in high school. But what about when you're a senior in college? What if the program you seek is right where you are? I asked these bloggers the simple question: Why did...

read more

What can you do in Buffalo during the school year?

I am not a winter person.  I cannot ski, snowboard, or ice skate.  Basically, I am part of the minority here in Buffalo.  A girl like me should be sitting on the beaches of Florida with a good book.  But since I never want to leave this wonderful place, I need to find...

read more

Why Canisius: A tale of circumstance

So why did I apply to Canisius? Well there is quite a bit of history to go through to understand the answer to this question but the TL:DR (too long, didn't read) version is that Canisius was in the perfect place at the perfect time. Allow me to explain. After...

read more

Diverse, successful education

From the Director of the graduate program ... Anthrozoology is many things to many different people. In our graduate program, the faculty and students are diverse in ways that are healthy and yet defy precise description. Some are focused on companion animals so fully...

read more

The Thirst Project!

Hey there Griffs! Canisius College Bookstore sent out an email about The Thirst Project. Follett (the company the runs many college bookstores) is a supporter of The Thirst Project, along with many others such as: Contiki, Paul Mitchell, and many other companies. This...

read more

Nom Nom Nom Pho

Mmmmm Food!  I'm really hating this weather.  As a kid I used to love it!  Loved skiing and sledding! (and making jumps to fly over) But now, I miss the beach.  Maybe after all of this grad school I'll go move to the south of France or a nice island...

read more

What were you thinking?

That's the question I get asked all the time when people find out I moved from California. At times, I've asked the same question of myself. "What am I doing here?" But every time I ask that question, I remember. In spite of the cold, I am here in Buffalo because it...

read more

Things That Keep Me Up at Night

What in the world is a Griffin, anyway? This and other oddities (coupled with a healthy mix of the graduate student's BFF, caffeine) keep the wheels of my mind turning long past when the midnight oil runs out, the last rerun of Friends is over, and I should have been...

read more

Volunteering With VITA

Accountants may be "bad to the bone", but we do love to give back to the community!       Even as an accounting student, you can volunteer your time to help your community.  This year will be my first year with volunteering with VITA.  VITA is the Volunteer Income...

read more

HarborCenter Opening Night

On October 31, At about 5:00, I stepped off of the elevator foot on the seventh floor of the HarborCenter, Buffalo’s new state of the art hockey facility, which now serves home to the Canisius College Golden Griffins Men’s Hockey Team. As I walked into the new...

read more