Welcome new students!

It is that time again! This is the week when all graduate students in the Anthrozoology master's program meet on campus for the beginning of a new exciting semester. This time we have 21 new stellar students joining the veterans for 4 days of intense meetings to start...

read more

Buffalo Restaurant Week!

Last week Buffalo finished one of the best weeks of the year – Local Restaurant Week! As we all know, our city is on the rise and Buffalonians are beaming with pride, so what better way to celebrate this than with independent local restaurants serving up some of the...

read more

Canisius Zoological Society

Do you love animals? Want to make a difference in their lives? Look no further! Canisius Zoological Society is the place for you! The club is formed by students from all backgrounds and areas of interest.     Every year the club plans activities both...

read more

Hot Buffalo Summer

So it's summer.  And it's warm.  And I have summer classes.  With my summer classes, I have to do two field placements.  One is for my special education extension.  The placement is through BOCES Summer School and I actually start tomorrow.  I am excited to meet the 6...

read more

Adios, Canisius!

Hello, Canisius! Wow! It's hard to believe that I have officially completed my Masters degree! Two and half years of hard work and graduate school is a wrap! That being said, this is also my very last blog post 🙁 I don't even know where to begin in talking about all...

read more

Community Day

Happy Summer!           I finally finished all of my final exams and papers!  It is a great feeling to have about 1.5 weeks of a mini summer vacation.  Summer classes start on Monday May 18th, as well as my...

read more

Meditating Your Way Through Finals

Hey there Griffs! Finals week is that magical time that happens at the end of every semester when we have to try and cram everything that we learned during the semester back into our brains so that we can try and pass a test. There's long nights, lots of time spent...

read more

Flying Bison Brewery Tour with MBAA

Candy sounds like a great dinner during this stressful Finals Week!     I wanted to catch you up on the great events that have been happening this semester! Even though the MBA Alumni Association is an organization for those who have...

read more

Doing Business in the EU Class

Happy spring everyone! I can't believe it's almost finals week!       I have been very very busy this semester with taking way too many courses.  So I apologize for being MIA on my blog posts.     For my one course, I got to...

read more

Are You a Graduate Student with a Special Diet?

In the nutrition world, there is a lot of discussion if going on a gluten free diet is really necessary for peoples' health. For people with celiac disease, it is medically necessary and for people with a gluten sensitivity, it is advised to avoid certain gluten...

read more

Why counselors in-training seek counseling

As counselors in training, all of my colleagues have been told to seek counseling for themselves at some point or another. Most of us have taken our professors up on that offer. One of the reasons for this recommendation from our professors is so that we can empathize...

read more

Another Great Canisius Experience

About 6 months ago, I received an email about retreats through campus ministries. As I was looking at the dates, I realized that the only date that worked for my schedule was my 25th birthday weekend. Ohhh what the heck? SIGN ME UP! As the date drew closer, I realized...

read more

The Perks of Being Positive!

Hey there Griffs! Have you every found yourself grumpy and unable to get out of the mood? Do you find yourself thinking negative thoughts instead of being positive? Do you ever want to be one of those people who are happy all the time? Well you're in luck! Today I'm...

read more

5 Things I learnt Shooting Guns for my College

This week’s blog comes following a momentous event. This past weekend, I had the good fortune of spending my time shooting for Canisius in my last tournament as a member of the Canisius College Rifle Team. After a delightfully upbeat drive down after an evening...

read more

Indiana in the news

As I mentioned in my last blog post, I am from Indiana. As anyone who isn't living under a rock knows, Indiana and our esteemed governor Mike Pence, have passed a new law called the Religious Freedom and Restoration Act. This new law is very controversial and because...

read more

Nutrition Food Hacks for the Graduate Student

Many graduate students are juggling school, job, family life, social life, exercise, internships and sleep time. How do we all fit this in and still get a balanced diet? Are you falling short for quick meals and convenience? Or are you getting well balanced meals in?...

read more

On Campus Component

The online Master’s degree Canisius offers in Anthrozoology is different from your average online program in many ways. One of the coolest ways that it differs is an aspect of the program they call the OCC. This stands for On Campus Component. At the beginning of...

read more

Teaching from a Counseling Perspective

Hello, Canisius friends! I am settling into my "new position" at Sweet Home and could not be happier! While I have experienced a few challenges already, I have experienced great moments of connection with my students. While I was a substitute teacher the past few...

read more

Jumping in with Both Feet as a Returning Student

Throughout college and my professional life in public health, a voice in the back of my mind nagged me about working with nonhuman animals. I was never interested in practicing animal medicine. I was more interested in the psychological and physical lives of nonhumans...

read more

Why did I stay?

Why did I stay? It's always tough to choose which school is best fit for you when you're a senior in high school. But what about when you're a senior in college? What if the program you seek is right where you are? I asked these bloggers the simple question: Why did...

read more

What can you do in Buffalo during the school year?

I am not a winter person.  I cannot ski, snowboard, or ice skate.  Basically, I am part of the minority here in Buffalo.  A girl like me should be sitting on the beaches of Florida with a good book.  But since I never want to leave this wonderful place, I need to find...

read more

Why Canisius: A tale of circumstance

So why did I apply to Canisius? Well there is quite a bit of history to go through to understand the answer to this question but the TL:DR (too long, didn't read) version is that Canisius was in the perfect place at the perfect time. Allow me to explain. After...

read more

Diverse, successful education

From the Director of the graduate program ... Anthrozoology is many things to many different people. In our graduate program, the faculty and students are diverse in ways that are healthy and yet defy precise description. Some are focused on companion animals so fully...

read more

Why Canisius?

What brought these students to Canisius? ...Was it fate? ...Was it the people?  ...Was it the program? I asked a couple of our bloggers the simple question: Why Canisius?   "The first thing I looked for in applying to Grad School was the Sport Administration...

read more

The Thirst Project!

Hey there Griffs! Canisius College Bookstore sent out an email about The Thirst Project. Follett (the company the runs many college bookstores) is a supporter of The Thirst Project, along with many others such as: Contiki, Paul Mitchell, and many other companies. This...

read more

Statistics, scary or beautiful?

When you think of statistics most people cringe or get this fear in their eyes of remembering their undergrad stats class and how daunting and boring it was. Just wishing that if they pass with a C grade then stats would be over in their life.   "μ = ( Σ Xi ) /...

read more

Cabin Fever: A Horror Story!

Hey there Griffs! I don't know about you guys, but I'm really done with winter. I live in Upstate/Central New York and I really shouldn't be complaining about it because that's what I signed up for. But alas, here I am sitting at my laptop in the dead of winter as it...

read more

Another week, another homework assignment

I have family that resides in Sydney, Australia.  I was lucky enough to visit them 4 years ago around this time.  It was a cold and snowy winter here, but there is was a warm and sunny summer.  It was an amazing experience that I will never forget.  Spending time with...

read more

Nom Nom Nom Pho

Mmmmm Food!  I'm really hating this weather.  As a kid I used to love it!  Loved skiing and sledding! (and making jumps to fly over) But now, I miss the beach.  Maybe after all of this grad school I'll go...

read more

Graduate Information Night!

This Saturday's Graduate Information Night at the Harbor Center was a huge success and a great time! The event gave current undergraduate students an insight into what to expect as a future graduate student at Canisius.     We had current graduate students...

read more

What were you thinking?

That's the question I get asked all the time when people find out I moved from California. At times, I've asked the same question of myself. "What am I doing here?" But every time I ask that question, I remember. In spite of the cold, I am here in Buffalo because it...

read more

Things That Keep Me Up at Night

What in the world is a Griffin, anyway? This and other oddities (coupled with a healthy mix of the graduate student's BFF, caffeine) keep the wheels of my mind turning long past when the midnight oil runs out, the last rerun of Friends is over, and I should have been...

read more

My First Blog Post: The Bloggening!

Hello ladies and Gents! Welcome to the first Blog post of many that I hope to write during my time at Canisus. My name is Parth and I’m a second year student in the Mental Health Counseling Program here. I currently also work as a Grad Assistant (for my own department...

read more

Volunteering With VITA

Accountants may be "bad to the bone", but we do love to give back to the community!       Even as an accounting student, you can volunteer your time to help your community.  This year will be my first year with volunteering with VITA....

read more

#Snowvember

Snownado? Snowpocalypse? Knife? Elsa? Nooooo....it's Snowvember!     Even in grad school, weather can wreak havoc!  I grew up in the Buffalo area, and spent undergrad in Rochester, so I was decently prepared.  I just wasn't...

read more

HarborCenter Opening Night

On October 31, At about 5:00, I stepped off of the elevator foot on the seventh floor of the HarborCenter, Buffalo’s new state of the art hockey facility, which now serves home to the Canisius College Golden Griffins Men’s Hockey Team. As I walked into the new...

read more