Health before School

Bold title right? All my life I was told that school comes first. I operated on this mentality. When I was a kid I would get my homework done and then my parents would grant me passage to go outside and play with my friends until the sunset. In undergrad, I was...

read more

While You Have Options, You Have Hope

There’s no easy way to put this, graduate school is hard. No one really advertised it as being simple but in the grand scheme of things us students wouldn’t mind if it was. You’re learning an abundance of useful material while simultaneously balancing homework,...

read more

Did someone say SUMMER?!

Hey all! It's that time of year that we've all been waiting for since... well, since last year! I know all of us on the graduate track of life have been through quite a bit of work this past semester, and for some of you, it may have been your first semester back in a...

read more

Don’t Panic, Just Decide (Part 1)

A little over a year ago I had a meltdown during my International Communication class. I will never forget sitting in the second to last row and reflecting on where my life was going. I was 21 years old, had one semester left in undergrad, and had no plan. The...

read more

My love affair with Poutine: ACPA 2016

Hi Everyone! My Name is Ali and I'm so excited to be blogging for Canisius Graduate Admissions. My grad. program has provided me with some really cool opportunities this year, and so far, my favorite has been the ACPA Conference in Montreal, Quebec. The American...

read more

Flying Bison Brewery Tour with MBAA

Candy sounds like a great dinner during this stressful Finals Week!     I wanted to catch you up on the great events that have been happening this semester! Even though the MBA Alumni Association is an organization for those who have graduated from the MBA...

read more

Tackling the Jesuit Mission with… Accounting

My time at Canisius so far has truly taught me all of the advantages of receiving a Jesuit education.  The values are far reaching throughout the classes, including the Forensic Accounting classes.  In other words, in class I am learning all the technical skills that...

read more

Nom Nom Nom Pho

Mmmmm Food!  I'm really hating this weather.  As a kid I used to love it!  Loved skiing and sledding! (and making jumps to fly over) But now, I miss the beach.  Maybe after all of this grad school I'll go move to the south of France or a nice island...

read more

Why an MBA in Professional Accounting?

Yay! MBAPA!! But why switch careers to accounting?       The MBA in Professional Accounting is a great program for those who want to change their careers!  Students in the program could have undergraduate degrees ranging from Education to Biology.  Personally, my...

read more

Can you Tell if Someone is Lying?

For those who claim that accounting is a dry subject and that it cannot be exciting, I suggest taking one of the Forensic Accounting classes at Canisius. While our definition of “fun” may differ, I can confidently assure that these courses will exceed your...

read more

Volunteering With VITA

Accountants may be "bad to the bone", but we do love to give back to the community!       Even as an accounting student, you can volunteer your time to help your community.  This year will be my first year with volunteering with VITA.  VITA is the Volunteer Income...

read more

Class or an Investigation?

Hi Everyone! The Forensic Accounting program has been living up to its reputation to say the least.  While the semester has been passing by extremely quickly, it is fascinating what we have done.  Whether its learning how to handle an investigation or hearing from an...

read more

Getting Started with Forensic Accounting

Hi Everyone! My name is Jon Corona and I am currently a student in the Forensic Accounting program here at Canisius College.  To avoid repeating information, I will refrain from writing an “about me” section in this post.  Although for those readers who are itching to...

read more

Papers! Papers! and More Papers!!

Hello All!!!  My name is Dan and I am a first year graduate student in the College Student Personnel Administration program here at Canisius College. I am a Resident Assistant on campus and I am also a supervisor of the study center and a academic mentor for the Griff...

read more

Beginning of the End

It's crazy to believe, but there's only one summer course standing between me and the end of my career in the Canisius MBA in Professional Accounting program. It seems like just yesterday I was walking up the stairs in Old Main for my graduate school orientation....

read more

Create a Website?!

In my last project for my financial statement fraud class, we had to accumulate many different resources for a particular fraud and create a website. I have to be honest, I've never really tried creating a website before so I thought it was going to be hard. It...

read more

NonProfit Fraud

Along with my fraud classes, I’m also taking a Non-for-Profit Accounting class. You wouldn’t think there would be many similarities between the two classes, but you would be surprised. Nonprofits are a vital part of society; they provide free or low cost services to...

read more

Fraud Research

I recently completed a research project in my financial statement fraud class in which we had to research a major financial statement fraud. The company I chose was Bristol-Myers Squibb who committed fraud in the earlier 2000s. Bristol overstated their revenue by over...

read more

Strategic Blogging

Hello All! I hope your week has been going well. This week's entry will delve into a project we are currently tasked with in our Strategic Management class. This class is unique because it is spread over two semesters. The course starts at the midpoint of the spring...

read more

Concentrate on Concentration

The college experience is truly a fantastic thing. One of the biggest and most important aspects of earning your degree is deciding what you will major in. What is the subject you could see your career revolving around? This could be an incredibly easy decision for...

read more

Just Another Tool

One of the really cool things about my financial statement fraud class is the ability to apply what is learned in class to a company’s financial statements. Last class, we applied the Beneish M-Score Model to Green Mountain Coffee’s financial statements. Professor...

read more

Tone at the Top

One of the benefits of the forensic accounting program is the opportunity to listen to different speakers who have been exposed to fraudulent schemes or unethical situations. In my financial statement fraud class, Kevin Stoklasa from First Niagara spoke about his...

read more

Summer Courses

Spring break already?? Wow, this semester is flying by! It’s hard to believe that in less than two short months, we will have completed final exams for the semester, and some of us will be getting ready to start summer classes. For Canisius’s MBA program, summer...

read more

Getting the Job

When I came to Canisius for graduate school, I thought I was ahead of the game. I was going to get my masters degree out of the way and start studying for the CPA exam. Well, when I got here, I soon realized that I was way behind everyone else.  Many of my classmates...

read more

The Results Are In!

Canisius Alumni ranked first overall among large colleges in New York State on the 2013 CPA exam cycle with a 71% pass rate.  Talk about some positive reinforcement, this is exactly what I wanted to hear as I sat in the library today plugging away on projects.  ...

read more

Behind the Numbers – HealthSouth

I’m sure many of you have heard of HealthSouth, it’s one of the largest operators of inpatient and outpatient hospitals. However, many of you might not have heard about the huge financial scandal that occurred in the early 2000s. Many people talk about Enron and...

read more

More than Just a Lecture

Many programs at universities and colleges follow the same format. You listen to a PowerPoint or complete problems during class. However, classes in the Forensic Accounting Program are a little different. One advantage of the forensic accounting program is having the...

read more

Deleted, But Not Gone

A common belief among many people is that when a file on a computer is deleted, it is gone forever. Contrary to the popular belief, the file is not gone forever.  l learned this in my Computer Forensics class which Canisius offers as a part of the Forensic Accounting...

read more

Accounting for Dead People?!

When I first told my family and friends that I was going to study forensic accounting, many of them had never heard of it. I believe I was even asked, “That’s accounting for dead people, right?” I simply laughed, but I never realized that many people actually don’t...

read more

Projects

The time is upon us. The semester has progressed far enough where we are past the introductory stages of our courses. This week marks the transition from learning new material to applying said knowledge. Yes my readers, we have stumbled onto several projects this week...

read more

It Pays Dividends

Making a decision regarding Graduate School and if it is the right decision for you is never easy.  After completing my undergraduate degrees at UB, I took a few years to explore the job market and find out what it was that really motivated me.  I always enjoyed the...

read more

Specialization in Accounting

Like myself, most accounting students have a professional goal of passing four strenuous exams to get three simple letters after their name: CPA (Certified Public Accountant). Certification as a CPA is the most well known and most common professional designation in...

read more

A Wealth of Resources

As the 2014 Spring Semester begins, many people may have academic resolutions or goals in mind that they hope to accomplish. Whether it be exploring potential internship opportunities, networking with local professionals, or achieving a certain GPA, Canisius has the...

read more

Welcome to 2014

A new year brings about a new semester at Canisius College.  I begin the 2014 academic year as a third year graduate student. My ultimate goal for 2014 is to complete the MBAPA program.  I have a targeted completion date of December this year and look forward to the...

read more

Accounting Society

When I was looking at graduate schools, two of the most important things to me were finding a program that would set me up for success after graduating and finding a tight-knit school in which I wouldn’t simply be a face or a number. I quickly came to the conclusion...

read more

Why choose accounting?

The accounting profession is commonly known to carry a negative stereotype.  During my undergraduate studies, I fell victim to many of these.  If you were to ask people what first comes to their mind when they hear accounting, some words that frequently arise...

read more

Half Way Update

At the conclusion of this semester, I will have officially passed the half way mark in regards to the 70 credit hour requirement for the MBAPA program.  At this time I would like to share some thoughts about my experience so far.   I got the challenge I was looking...

read more

Thankful

With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, it’s a great time to step back and think of all the things for which we are thankful in our lives. Of course, family and friends are at the top of the list, but something I find myself often forgetting to give thanks for is my...

read more

Success Down the Final Stretch

The end of the semester is in sight, and a strong finish usually translates into a successful semester. With the holidays approaching, project completion dates nearing, and finals on our mind its a great time to come up with your game plan. With three weeks of class...

read more

End of Semester Motivation

This time of year can be particularly difficult for students; the end of the semester is in sight, but a plethora of projects and assignments stand between you and winter break. As a graduate student, it can be especially challenging, as many of us have friends with...

read more

Leading Ethically Everywhere

Robert Schrecongost, former Vice Chairman and VP of Technology at GoodYear/Dunlop North America, spoke to the Leadership foundations class this month about leading in an international marketplace. Robert, who spoke from 39 years in the tire industry, has traveled...

read more

Make Your Goals a Reality

In May of 2012 I began one of my most valued personal goals: achieving an MBA.  The choice was obvious when deciding on a school; Canisius had an outstanding reputation for their accounting program.  The fact that Canisius students consistently rank among the top in...

read more

Preparation for the “Real World”

This past summer, I was lucky enough to gain experience in the field through an internship at a Western New York regional accounting firm.   Although I certainly learned a lot during my internship, I came to realize that I had already learned a great deal from my...

read more