My love affair with Poutine: ACPA 2016

Hi Everyone! My Name is Ali and I'm so excited to be blogging for Canisius Graduate Admissions. My grad. program has provided me with some really cool opportunities this year, and so far, my favorite has been the ACPA Conference in Montreal, Quebec. The American...

read more

Community Day

Happy Summer!           I finally finished all of my final exams and papers!  It is a great feeling to have about 1.5 weeks of a mini summer vacation.  Summer classes start on Monday May 18th, as well as my...

read more

Flying Bison Brewery Tour with MBAA

Candy sounds like a great dinner during this stressful Finals Week!     I wanted to catch you up on the great events that have been happening this semester! Even though the MBA Alumni Association is an organization for those who have...

read more

Doing Business in the EU Class

Happy spring everyone! I can't believe it's almost finals week!       I have been very very busy this semester with taking way too many courses.  So I apologize for being MIA on my blog posts.     For my one course, I got to...

read more

Student Affairs Conference in Florida

Hello Everybody, I know everybody must be getting excited about Spring Break.  I know I am! Today, I just wanted to talk about my journey I had in Tampa, Florida this past week. One of the perks about being in the College Student Personnel Administration program at...

read more

Tackling the Jesuit Mission with… Accounting

My time at Canisius so far has truly taught me all of the advantages of receiving a Jesuit education.  The values are far reaching throughout the classes, including the Forensic Accounting classes.  In other words, in class I am learning all the technical skills that...

read more

Nom Nom Nom Pho

Mmmmm Food!  I'm really hating this weather.  As a kid I used to love it!  Loved skiing and sledding! (and making jumps to fly over) But now, I miss the beach.  Maybe after all of this grad school I'll go...

read more

What latte?!

Tonight I had the good fortune of attending the Agape Latte speaker series first talk by Dr. Melissa Wanzer. The word “Agape” is Greek for “Brotherly love” as you would come to expect from a community. “Latte” as I am informed derives its roots from Italian and… well,...

read more

MBAPA First Course Survival Tips

Tips For Success In Class             Fall semester was my first accounting course, and boy was it tough!   (I started in the summer with regular MBA courses as the first accounting course is only taught during the...

read more

Why an MBA in Professional Accounting?

Yay! MBAPA!! But why switch careers to accounting?       The MBA in Professional Accounting is a great program for those who want to change their careers!  Students in the program could have undergraduate degrees ranging from Education to Biology....

read more

Grad Life!

Hello everybody, Life is just sweet because it is the start of the semester and work is starting to pick up.  I could not be any happier to be in the CSPA program because I enjoy working with college students and I cannot wait to start my career in Higher Education....

read more

Can you Tell if Someone is Lying?

For those who claim that accounting is a dry subject and that it cannot be exciting, I suggest taking one of the Forensic Accounting classes at Canisius. While our definition of “fun” may differ, I can confidently assure that these courses will exceed your...

read more

Starting Right

Doin' It Right     Here is the second week of the second semester of the one year MBA program. The long winter break was much needed; the first few weeks were spent in hibernation and recovery. I think I am much more prepared for this semester --...

read more

Winter Break!

Hello Everybody, It is that time of year to get ready to go back to classes yet again. I hope everyone finished strong before leaving to go home for the holidays, including those who are in graduate school. Winter vacation is that magical time of year when you get a...

read more

Secret Santa Exravaganza

Time For Secret Santa..               Finals week is over! I survived!! And it was dreadful! Grad School finals week is like undergrad...but instead of cranking out a bunch of 12 page papers you have...

read more

Volunteering With VITA

Accountants may be "bad to the bone", but we do love to give back to the community!       Even as an accounting student, you can volunteer your time to help your community.  This year will be my first year with volunteering with VITA....

read more

Back to the Grind!

Hello Everybody, I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving Break and ate lots of turkey, stuffing, and mashed potatoes!  Oh, I cannot forget pumpkin pie! Yummy! Well, now that break is over, it is time to get back to the daily grind to finish off the rest of the...

read more

#Snowvember

Snownado? Snowpocalypse? Knife? Elsa? Nooooo....it's Snowvember!     Even in grad school, weather can wreak havoc!  I grew up in the Buffalo area, and spent undergrad in Rochester, so I was decently prepared.  I just wasn't...

read more

Class or an Investigation?

Hi Everyone! The Forensic Accounting program has been living up to its reputation to say the least.  While the semester has been passing by extremely quickly, it is fascinating what we have done.  Whether its learning how to handle an investigation or hearing from an...

read more

Off To NYC With Accounting Society

As the semester gets busier, you find more and more accounting students studying in the library.  It's not all homework and tests for accounting students!  Last month, Canisius College's Accounting Society ventured to New York City for a very exciting day trip!...

read more

Kairos Retreat!!

Hello Everybody, It has been awhile since my last post and I deeply apologize. Grad School has been keeping me extremely busy and I absolutely love my grad program. I cannot wait to start my first position after I receive my master's degree because this has been so...

read more

Getting Started with Forensic Accounting

Hi Everyone! My name is Jon Corona and I am currently a student in the Forensic Accounting program here at Canisius College.  To avoid repeating information, I will refrain from writing an “about me” section in this post.  Although for those readers who are itching to...

read more

GET READY FOR THE ZOMBIE APOCALYPSE!!!

"Ebola has struck again!" In other words, time for Humans Vs. Zombies!   Graduate school is not just about classes and studying.  There is still time for fun!  Next week, Canisius will be hosting their FIRST EVER game of Humans Vs. Zombies (Or...

read more

Papers! Papers! and More Papers!!

Hello All!!!  My name is Dan and I am a first year graduate student in the College Student Personnel Administration program here at Canisius College. I am a Resident Assistant on campus and I am also a supervisor of the study center and a academic mentor for the Griff...

read more

Allons-y!

Allons-y!     I feel like I should start this post with a Dr. Who gif, as I am writing this after watching the latest Dr. Who episode that just aired tonight! Happy Who Day!      This may only be my first blog post, but the semester...

read more

Beginning of the End

It's crazy to believe, but there's only one summer course standing between me and the end of my career in the Canisius MBA in Professional Accounting program. It seems like just yesterday I was walking up the stairs in Old Main for my graduate school orientation....

read more

May Flowers

As a disclaimer, this entry will jump around a lot because that is how my mind is at this busy time. Here we are, right on the brink of the semester's end. Next week is final exam week for many and the One-Year MBA students are busy studying nonstop. This time...

read more

Create a Website?!

In my last project for my financial statement fraud class, we had to accumulate many different resources for a particular fraud and create a website. I have to be honest, I've never really tried creating a website before so I thought it was going to be hard. It...

read more

NonProfit Fraud

Along with my fraud classes, I’m also taking a Non-for-Profit Accounting class. You wouldn’t think there would be many similarities between the two classes, but you would be surprised. Nonprofits are a vital part of society; they provide free or low cost services to...

read more

Fraud Research

I recently completed a research project in my financial statement fraud class in which we had to research a major financial statement fraud. The company I chose was Bristol-Myers Squibb who committed fraud in the earlier 2000s. Bristol overstated their revenue by over...

read more

Strategic Blogging

Hello All! I hope your week has been going well. This week's entry will delve into a project we are currently tasked with in our Strategic Management class. This class is unique because it is spread over two semesters. The course starts at the midpoint of the...

read more

Concentrate on Concentration

The college experience is truly a fantastic thing. One of the biggest and most important aspects of earning your degree is deciding what you will major in. What is the subject you could see your career revolving around? This could be an incredibly easy decision...

read more

Just Another Tool

One of the really cool things about my financial statement fraud class is the ability to apply what is learned in class to a company’s financial statements. Last class, we applied the Beneish M-Score Model to Green Mountain Coffee’s financial statements. Professor...

read more

Tone at the Top

One of the benefits of the forensic accounting program is the opportunity to listen to different speakers who have been exposed to fraudulent schemes or unethical situations. In my financial statement fraud class, Kevin Stoklasa from First Niagara spoke about his...

read more

Musical Mentors

What a great spring break! I spent the week off doing a variety of things. My activities included creating art and visiting Toronto for a few days. It was an awesome time that provided a lot of enjoyable moments. The trip to Europe that many of our students...

read more

Summer Courses

Spring break already?? Wow, this semester is flying by! It’s hard to believe that in less than two short months, we will have completed final exams for the semester, and some of us will be getting ready to start summer classes. For Canisius’s MBA program, summer...

read more

Getting the Job

When I came to Canisius for graduate school, I thought I was ahead of the game. I was going to get my masters degree out of the way and start studying for the CPA exam. Well, when I got here, I soon realized that I was way behind everyone else.  Many of my classmates...

read more

The Results Are In!

Canisius Alumni ranked first overall among large colleges in New York State on the 2013 CPA exam cycle with a 71% pass rate.  Talk about some positive reinforcement, this is exactly what I wanted to hear as I sat in the library today plugging away on...

read more

Spring Break

This week was both eventful and surprising. Monday greeted us with a blissful change in weather conditions. It went from being cold and gloomy to sunny and somewhat warm. There was a subtle glimpse of Spring that we have all wanted for months. However, Tuesday...

read more

Behind the Numbers – HealthSouth

I’m sure many of you have heard of HealthSouth, it’s one of the largest operators of inpatient and outpatient hospitals. However, many of you might not have heard about the huge financial scandal that occurred in the early 2000s. Many people talk about Enron and...

read more

Midterm Arc

With a heavy sigh of relief and satisfaction, I can optimistically say what a week! This week symbolized many things for the students of the One-Year MBA program. Firstly, this was our 'midterm' week. We had four exams in three days, and yes, you read that correctly!...

read more

More than Just a Lecture

Many programs at universities and colleges follow the same format. You listen to a PowerPoint or complete problems during class. However, classes in the Forensic Accounting Program are a little different. One advantage of the forensic accounting program is having the...

read more

Life Lately – February in Buffalo

1. Went to the BPO | 2. Packed the KAC | 3. Caught a stunning sunset at the Erie Basin Marina | 4.  Heard Dr. Butler's address at the AJCU Honors Conference |      5. Made a quick jaunt down to Pittsburgh | 6. Watched endless hours of House of...

read more

Deleted, But Not Gone

A common belief among many people is that when a file on a computer is deleted, it is gone forever. Contrary to the popular belief, the file is not gone forever.  l learned this in my Computer Forensics class which Canisius offers as a part of the Forensic Accounting...

read more

How to Pass with Flying Colors

With midterm exams looming on the horizon, it's time to buckle down and dust off those books. But did you know that your go-to study habits may be doing more harm than good? Before jumping into this semester's midterm prep, use these tips to turn your study sessions...

read more

Accounting for Dead People?!

When I first told my family and friends that I was going to study forensic accounting, many of them had never heard of it. I believe I was even asked, “That’s accounting for dead people, right?” I simply laughed, but I never realized that many people actually don’t...

read more

Projects

The time is upon us. The semester has progressed far enough where we are past the introductory stages of our courses. This week marks the transition from learning new material to applying said knowledge. Yes my readers, we have stumbled onto several projects this week...

read more

Pleased to Meet You

I’m Canisius’ newest blogger: a recent graduate with a BA in English and a minor in dance. In a whirlwind week last August, I was offered an assistantship and am now enrolled in the Communications & Leadership program, working towards a master’s degree in...

read more

It Pays Dividends

Making a decision regarding Graduate School and if it is the right decision for you is never easy.  After completing my undergraduate degrees at UB, I took a few years to explore the job market and find out what it was that really motivated me.  I always...

read more

Specialization in Accounting

Like myself, most accounting students have a professional goal of passing four strenuous exams to get three simple letters after their name: CPA (Certified Public Accountant). Certification as a CPA is the most well known and most common professional designation in...

read more

Goals

A goal is a surreal concept that almost everyone in life is familiar with. It can act as a dual catalyst that fuels you to do different things. Whether they act as a foundation which you build upon or a mountain you traverse, goals are important. It is more crucial to...

read more

At Last

Just like that, the semester is over. I woke up today with a strange feeling I haven't felt in months. I rose out of bed with no obligations to school and no worries about having to complete assignments or study for tests. Although Canisius has treated me very...

read more

Queen City Breeze

Buffalo has always been a place where building an igloo is an incredible possibility. Snowmen could outline the front yards of every home and no one would bat an eye. Summertime is full of beautiful weather while the winter is a whole other animal. The Queen...

read more

A Wealth of Resources

As the 2014 Spring Semester begins, many people may have academic resolutions or goals in mind that they hope to accomplish. Whether it be exploring potential internship opportunities, networking with local professionals, or achieving a certain GPA, Canisius has the...

read more

Second Start

This week marks the beginning of the spring semester. Thus, the continuation of my blog entries will commence this week. I hope you all had a great vacation full of relaxing and exciting moments. My time away from the program provided me with a much needed...

read more

Welcome back!

Here we are! We are back into the swing of things for the spring semester of 2014 and as much as I dread all of the reading and papers, (who doesn't) having a routine again brings back the much needed structure. Sure, it's going to be a difficult task leaving my comfy...

read more

Welcome to 2014

A new year brings about a new semester at Canisius College.  I begin the 2014 academic year as a third year graduate student. My ultimate goal for 2014 is to complete the MBAPA program.  I have a targeted completion date of December this year and look forward...

read more

2014

I was going to insert a super cheesy quote about beginning 2014 with all of these endless possibilities but I'll save you all from that tacky nonsense. (You're welcome) Please don't get me wrong, I definitely enjoy the feelings that are associated with a "fresh...

read more

Career Ideas

It is amazing how many hours can be found in one single day once you remove all of the work for graduate school!  I mean, I genuinely love learning and bettering myself in all facets of life but a break always feels best when it is well deserved. I can actually enjoy...

read more

The end is here!

Well, that was quick! As of yesterday at 3:30pm I am officially done with my first semester of graduate school in the College Student Personnel Program!! Let me just say, it is going to be one well deserved month off from classes! I’m really not sure what I am going...

read more

Accounting Society

When I was looking at graduate schools, two of the most important things to me were finding a program that would set me up for success after graduating and finding a tight-knit school in which I wouldn’t simply be a face or a number. I quickly came to the conclusion...

read more

Why choose accounting?

The accounting profession is commonly known to carry a negative stereotype.  During my undergraduate studies, I fell victim to many of these.  If you were to ask people what first comes to their mind when they hear accounting, some words that frequently arise...

read more

Stress

Every student will agree that the end of the semester is truly a taxing time. The remarkable inertia of completing your last few assignments propels you into finals week. With each day being a flood of knowledge and information that curtails to a different...

read more

Make Time to Mentor

Benjamin Disreali said, "The greatest good you can do for another is not just to share your riches but to reveal to him his own."
 I've never personally met Mr. Disreali, but it sounds like he has exactly what it takes to be a great mentor. For, as I learned last...

read more

Half Way Update

At the conclusion of this semester, I will have officially passed the half way mark in regards to the 70 credit hour requirement for the MBAPA program.  At this time I would like to share some thoughts about my experience so far.   I got the challenge I was...

read more

Thankful

With the Thanksgiving holiday upon us, it’s a great time to step back and think of all the things for which we are thankful in our lives. Of course, family and friends are at the top of the list, but something I find myself often forgetting to give thanks for is my...

read more

Family Giving

The semester is almost in the rear-view with finals week devilishly looming its breath upon our necks. Before the semester ends and the examination onslaughts begin, we get a short break to breathe and collect ourselves. Next week brings with Thanksgiving and...

read more

Unexpected Networking

When I started the CSPA program at Canisius, I had no idea that I would meet so many people in the field! I mean, this isn’t to say that I did not meet people through my undergrad. Sure, I was often assigned group projects and I met other students through my...

read more

Listening Matters

“I've learned that people will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel.” Maya Angelou's quote above confirms that as leaders, sometimes what we say is not the most important skill. The impact leaders...

read more

Success Down the Final Stretch

The end of the semester is in sight, and a strong finish usually translates into a successful semester. With the holidays approaching, project completion dates nearing, and finals on our mind its a great time to come up with your game plan. With three weeks of class...

read more

The Great Commute

College is a wonderful experience. Being able to choose what path to begin your career is truly a unique and privileged right. Higher education is an enormous step in the life of any student. It is a leap that is both exciting and scary. The environment is...

read more

End of Semester Motivation

This time of year can be particularly difficult for students; the end of the semester is in sight, but a plethora of projects and assignments stand between you and winter break. As a graduate student, it can be especially challenging, as many of us have friends with...

read more

Leading Ethically Everywhere

Robert Schrecongost, former Vice Chairman and VP of Technology at GoodYear/Dunlop North America, spoke to the Leadership foundations class this month about leading in an international marketplace. Robert, who spoke from 39 years in the tire industry, has traveled...

read more

Make Your Goals a Reality

In May of 2012 I began one of my most valued personal goals: achieving an MBA.  The choice was obvious when deciding on a school; Canisius had an outstanding reputation for their accounting program.  The fact that Canisius students consistently rank among the top in...

read more

Overseas Treats

Do you like to travel? Does the thrill of experiencing culture in an overseas country excite you? Students in the One-Year MBA Program have been given an amazing opportunity to take advantage of during the spring semester. A course titled MBA 686, or Doing...

read more

Gratification

“Success is the sum of small efforts repeated day in and day out.” - Robert Collier I guess most people would not know this about me by simply reading a blog post online, but I’ve been working on a huge weight loss goal for myself.  November 6th marked NINE months of...

read more

Preparation for the “Real World”

This past summer, I was lucky enough to gain experience in the field through an internship at a Western New York regional accounting firm.   Although I certainly learned a lot during my internship, I came to realize that I had already learned a great deal from my...

read more

Feeling Fulfilled

“Learning is the only thing the mind never exhausts, never fears, and never regrets.” -Leonardo Da Vinci Since starting my assistantship at Medaille College, (conveniently within walking distance to Canisius College) I have been learning so much more about higher...

read more

Choices Choices Choices

As the semester is nearing an end, we must look towards the future and determine what courses to take and what times to take them. Sometimes registering for the next semester is a stressful process. You hastily log into your respective college website and...

read more

De-cluttering Life

Mid-semester hits graduate students hard. Midterms and papers are coming due, and it's time to look ahead toward the final exams and projects in the not-so-distant future. Life can be even crazier for the dozens of Communication & Leadership grad students working...

read more

Halfway

“Ohhhhh We’re Halfway There” -Bon Jovi  I can’t help but think of belting the lyrics to Bon Jovi’s, “Livin’ on a Prayer” when we’ve reached this point of the semester.  I am shocked that it is already week NINE of my first semester of graduate school at Canisius! Now...

read more

Mentors and Multiple Choice

As the cold weather sets in and leaves change color, the semester is flying by at a rapid pace. Registration for the spring semester begins in a few weeks and we are slowly nearing the holidays. This hectic time bares similarities to our ninth week in the...

read more

Building Your Nonprofit Credibility

One of the biggest challenges young professionals tackle might be that people assume we're inexperienced or unreliable. This lack of perceived credibility can be a huge obstacle to building a network and conducting business, especially in the non-profit sector, which...

read more

Different Background

Attending the One-Year MBA program is the first time I have experienced Canisius College. I completed my undergraduate education over the course of four years at the University of Buffalo prior to the semester. I feared transitioning to a new school after eight...

read more

Commuter Life

I never realized how lucky I was as an undergraduate student at Canisius to live on campus in the residence halls for all four years. I could leave Bosch, Dugan or Village ten minutes before class started and still have time to spare. (Not to mention the wonderful...

read more

Knowing When to Quit

Marina Shifrin's interpretive dance resignation video hit the internet with a storm this week. In it she explains she's quitting Next Media Animation in Taipei, "an awesome company," because her boss only cares about quantity of videos and views. Marina's opinion...

read more

Methods of Studying

We are steadily nearing the midpoint of our first semester in the One-Year MBA program. As this time-lapse becomes a reality, we come to expect a series of examinations. It could be the midterm exams of Organizational Behavior and Information Systems, or...

read more

Transition Talk

"They always say time changes things, but you actually have to change them yourself." -Andy Warhol When I made the decision to return to Canisius for graduate school, I had no idea that I would struggle with the transition. I mean, I only took one year off to teach in...

read more

Is this real life!?

I would like someone to pinch me because I’m 100 % positive that my current reality is all still a dream. Yes, I feel like David after the dentist, constantly asking myself, “Is this real life!?” (Search it on YouTube!) I need to rewind a bit because last time I...

read more

Fall

We have recently entered into my favorite season. Fall is truly a magical time narrowly paralleled by two extremes. Neither too hot nor too cold, it is the perfect season for someone who enjoys modest temperatures. Brisk breeze is offset by the sun to create...

read more

Neuromarketing: Can Marketers Read Your Mind?

Something happened in my brain when I watched the new Guinness ad - the wildly successful commercial that earned 3 million YouTube views in just three days. I'm not sure what it was, but by the final frame of foamy Irish stout, I was already planning on buying a pint...

read more

The Five Levels of Conflict

Have you ever been in the midst of a heated conflict and wondered how the battle got so intense? What starts as a simple miscommunication can quickly escalate into something bigger, especially when workplace issues like high pressure deadlines and ambiguous emails add...

read more

Note to Self

A summer course is a special kind of challenge - especially a summer class that takes place over two weekends in mid-July, the warmest, sunniest, summeriest two weekends of the year. Luckily, this class on Conflict, Facilitation & Communication sounds like one of...

read more

Rethink Your Elevator Pitch

This spring, I was able to attend a Speed Networking night hosted by Canisius College and Amherst's Emerging Business Leaders. Drinks in hand, we circulated around tables, a sparkling crew of Buffalo's young professionals. The event featured a formal speed networking...

read more

What to Do When Your Iceberg Melts

This week in the world of MBA 647 Organizational Change & Leadership, we're reading John Kotter's "Our Iceberg is Melting." For this book, Kotter has taken winning principles from his Leading Change and Heart of Change, two books that focus on leading teams to...

read more