Happy New Year! I hope that you and your families had a wonderful holiday and that students enjoyed a pleasant winter break. As we begin the spring semester and embark on a new year, I hope that we continue to build on our culture of inclusivity, in which respectful, open, and honest discussions occur. I see Canisius as a place where all of our students – of every color, belief, and political affiliation – feel equal, valued and respected and where we truly embrace and celebrate diversity, in all of its form, as a source of strength. One of the most wonderful and rewarding aspects of the college experience is the way in which we open ourselves to people, places, situations, and questions that challenge our perceptions and lead to discovery – about ourselves and the world around us. This is central to our educational mission and reflected in our commitment to provide a transformational education for our students.

In this spirit, my wife Maureen and I are collaborating with Tim Wadkins, Professor of Religious Studies and Director of our Canisius Institute for Global Engagement, on a special trip for alumni and friends to Guatemala and El Salvador from June 3-13. Parents are certainly welcome to participate.

The title of the trip, “Faith, Tradition and Modernization in Central America” will be designed as an immersion experience intended to help participants better understand the role of Christian faith in an area torn up by poverty, recent brutal wars, current violence, and massive efforts to modernize and democratize. If you would like to read more about this opportunity, please visit this site, and feel free to email me at president@canisius.edu with any questions.