Reflection on Let There Be Light International

As the semester comes to a close, I cannot believe how fast my fall internship at Let There Be Light International went! It has truly been such an amazing experience. Looking back at my goal statement from the beginning of the semester, I said that I would like to create a well-developed strategic communications plan to engage and increase online engagement as well as evolve the Shine On Student Campaign. I believe I did exactly that and more!

I completely revamped Let There Be Light International (LTBLI)’s social media presence with new visual designs for posts and increasing engagement on various platforms including Instagram, Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn. Two major things that created this drastic change are the use of stories and highlights (specifically on Instagram and Facebook) as it allows new followers or the target audience to have readily available information.

In addition to creating a successful strategic communication plan, I also helped launch and evolve the Shine on Students campaign. This program engages students in an active, hands-on campaign to slow climate change and protect the health of our global environment. I am really grateful that I got to launch this event right at Canisius in collaboration with Phi Sigma Sigma and Student Programming Board. It was an incredibly successful event as we raised over $150 (which donated about 10 lights to families in off-grid communities) and reached a lot of students. Overall, I am proud of all the progress I made at my internship this semester and how much I learned. My time at LTBLI is not over as I will be returning in the spring to continue my work with their marketing and communications! With this, I hope to enhance my current skills and learn even more.