My name is Julia Barth and I am a senior double majoring in Journalism and Political Science. I’m interning at the Ken-Ton Bee this semester. If you don’t know what the Ken-Ton Bee is, it’s the local newspaper for the Town of Tonawanda, North Tonawanda, Kenmore, and the City of Tonawanda. There are “Bee” newspapers all around the suburbs of Buffalo, this one happens to be my hometown paper.

Right now, my responsibilities are doing some of the side work for the paper. The paper prints every week, so as of right now I’m putting together the columns that go out weekly. This includes the Library section (writing out the local library events), the Senior News section (writing out the schedule from the Senior Center), and the “What’s Going On?” section (local events and activities). I meet in person once a week with my advisor, and on those days we will be doing the police blotter which I think will be fun. I also have been going to some town and city council meetings, which ties in my interest in politics nicely.

I was nervous leading up to the internship because I’ve never had one before, but I’m settling in well. My supervisor is very nice and helpful, and she isn’t putting too much work on me too quickly. She wants me to get a feel for things by guiding me through what it’s like to run a paper. I’m excited to see where this internship leads!